Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security
Share This PageShare This Page PrintPrint

Austria - Vienna Field Office

Field Office Director

Pamela Hutchings

Service Area

The Vienna Field Office has jurisdiction over U.S. immigration matters in the following countries: Austria, Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Kosovo, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, and Slovenia.

Street Address 

U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services
Department of Homeland Security
c/o US Embassy
Boltzmanngasse 16
A-1090 Vienna
Austria/ Europe

Mailing Address from the US 

U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services
Department of Homeland Security
c/o US Embassy
Boltzmanngasse 16
A-1090 Vienna
Austria/ Europe

Mailing Address from Outside the US 

U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services
Department of Homeland Security
c/o US Embassy
Boltzmanngasse 16
A-1090 Vienna
Austria/ Europe

Express Mail Address

U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services
Department of Homeland Security
c/o US Embassy
Boltzmanngasse 16
A-1090 Vienna
Austria/ Europe

Office Location

We are located in downtown Vienna, in the Hotel Marriott building on the 4th floor.

Hours of Operation

The office is open to the public Monday through Friday 8:30 AM to 12:00 Noon; and from 1:00 PM to 4:30 PM. It is closed on Austrian and American holidays.

Phone, Fax Numbers & Email

If calling from the United States, please dial 011 first.
For general inquiries in German or English, please call the following numbers:
43-1-31339-7580 or 43-1-31339-7581

43-1-31339-7516 or 43-1-51-33-163


Visiting the office in person

Appointments are scheduled daily from 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM and can be made via the Internet at Choose your country of residence under the list of countries rather than entering a zip code. This will allow you to select an appointment with the appropriate USCIS Office. Please bring a printout of your InfoPass appointment letter and a photo ID with you to the appointment.

We do not accept walk in appointments unless the situation is an emergency. Normal requests, such as application filings, status inquiries and requests for transportation letters are not considered emergency requests.

Public Transportation

U-4 ''Stadtpark''
U-3 ''Stubentor''

No. 2 ''Weihburggasse''

By car, look for ''Stadpark'' and on the street called ''Parkring.'' You will see the Hotel Marriott building in which we are located on the 4th floor. An elevator is available.

Parking & Handicap Accessibility

Street parking requires tickets (Parkscheine), which can be obtained in ''Tabak stores.'' The hotel also has a garage and charges 3 Euros per hour.

Accessibility for individuals with special needs is available.

Paying Fees

Fees for applications and petitions are listed in the Forms section of the USCIS website. USCIS Vienna collects no fees directly. All fees related to USCIS applications must be paid to the US Embassy Consulate Section cashier. A DOS receipt is attached to the petition/application and recorded in CAMINO. The US Embassy Vienna cashier now accepts MasterCard/Visa/Discover/American Express credit cards.

Customer Feedback 

We strive to provide quality service to our customers. If we have not lived up to this commitment, or if we have met or exceeded your expectations, please let us know. To comment on the services provided at this office, please write to the Field Office Director at the address given above, or to the District Director.

Mailing Address from the United States:

District Director
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
United States Embassy
Unit 9500 Box 37
DPO AE 09624-0037

Mailing Address from Outside the United States and Express Mail:

District Director
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Via Sallustiana 49
00187 Roma, Italy

If you feel you were mistreated by a U.S. immigration employee, or wish to make a complaint of misconduct by a U.S. immigration employee, you may write to the District Director, or write directly to the:

Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Attn: Chief, International Operations Division
20 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Suite 3300
Washington, DC 20529-2100


Immigration forms are available in the Forms section of the USCIS website. .


For in-depth information about visas, please check the Visa Services section of the U.S. Department of State website or the Vienna Embassy website at

Form I-407

You should submit your Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status, in person or by mail if you wish to abandon your lawful permanent resident status.

If you wish to abandon your permanent resident status and give up your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) in person, please see the section above, Visiting the Office in Person, for information on making an appointment and office hours. If you wish to submit a Form I-407 by mail, please use the mailing address listed above and include your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card), if available.

The Form I-407 and instructions are available on the Form I-407 Web page.


Forms I-600 & I-600A 

The Vienna Field Office accepts I-600/I-600A applications for U.S. citizens residing in our area of jurisdiction. Applications can be filed directly with the Vienna Field Office or through the U.S. Consulates in our jurisdiction. Fingerprints can be taken by our office or at a U.S. Consulate

More detailed information on intercountry adoptions may be found on the Department of State website and in the Adoption section of the USCIS website.


Form I-130 

To petition for a family member to receive a green card (permanent residence), U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents can file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, with the Chicago Lockbox:

USCIS, Attn: I-130, 131 South Dearborn-3rd Floor, Chicago, IL 60603-5517.


More information can be found at

U.S. citizens legally residing in Austria for at least the past six months with a Meldezettel and residence visa may also file in person at the USCIS Vienna Field Office by scheduling an appointment with InfoPass.

U.S. citizens who reside overseas where there is no USCIS Field Office may be eligible to file with the Department of State at the U.S. Embassy in certain exceptional circumstances. Please visit Dept. of State for more information.

How do I file the petition?

Use this checklist and the credit card form, for mail filing.


 What happens after my I-130 is approved?

Filing your I-130 petition is only the first step of a two-part process. If your immediate relative petition is approved, the U.S. petitioner will receive a Notice of Approval. The original I-130 will normally be transferred to the Immigrant Visa Unit at the U.S. Consulate in the country where the beneficiary resides (unless you have specified otherwise on the I-130). The Immigrant Visa Unit will then process the immediate relative beneficiary for an immigrant visa.

For beneficiaries residing in Austria: If you have questions concerning the second part of the processing which includes the interview, medical, DS-230, DS-2001, Affidavits of Support, police certificates, etc., you will need to contact the Immigrant Visa Unit directly at 43-1-31339-7591. Telephone hours are Monday – Friday from 2:30 PM to 4:30 PM.


Form N-400

Military Naturalization

USCIS offices overseas are only authorized to process applications for Naturalization for active duty military members and certain eligible family members. Please refer to for more information.  Military members should contact their military legal office if they require more information about filing for Naturalization.


Expeditious Naturalization

Section 319(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) allows certain spouses of United States citizens regularly stationed abroad to naturalize expeditiously without any required period of permanent residence, provided they will reside abroad with their U.S. citizen spouse after naturalization. An applicant must declare in good faith an intention to reside permanently in the United States when the spouse’s employment terminates. More information may be found in this FAQ. This office may assist with the fingerprinting process for lawful permanent residents applying for expeditious naturalization. Please see the section on Fingerprinting below.

Certain children who regularly reside outside the U.S. may be eligible for citizenship under Section 322 of the INA. Form N-600K may be filed by:

  • A U.S. citizen parent seeking citizenship on behalf of an adopted minor or a biological child under Section 322 of the INA (providing for citizenship through an application process for biological and adopted children who regularly reside outside of the U.S. and meet certain conditions while under age 18), or
  • If a U.S. citizen parent of a child who otherwise meets the eligibility requirements of INA Section 322 has died, a U.S. citizen grandparent or a U.S. legal guardian can file the application at any time within 5 years of the U.S. citizen parent’s death.
  • In addition to the naturalization process, the United States recognizes the U.S. citizenship of individuals according to two fundamental principles: jus soli, or right of birthplace, and jus sanguinis, or right of blood.
  • The 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution guarantees citizenship at birth to almost all individuals born in the United States or in U.S. jurisdictions, according to the principle of jus soli. Certain individuals born in the United States, such as children of foreign heads of state or children of foreign diplomats, do not obtain U.S. citizenship under jus soli.
  • Certain individuals born outside of the United States are born citizens because of their parents, according to the principle of jus sanguinis, which holds that the country of citizenship of a child is the same as that of his/her parents. The U.S. Congress is responsible for enacting laws that determine how citizenship is conveyed by a U.S. citizen parent or parents according to the principle of jus sanguinis. These laws are contained in the Immigration and Nationality Act.
  • Information regarding children’s citizenship can be found at

Form I-131 Parole

The Vienna Field Office does not issue Humanitarian Parole. Individuals must apply for Humanitarian Parole by submitting their applications to:

USCIS Dallas Lockbox
For US Postal Service (USPS)Deliveries:

PO Box 660865
Dallas, TX. 75266


For Express mail and courier deliveries:
Attn: HP
2501 S. State Hwy 121, Business
Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067

Instructions on how to file an application for Humanitarian Parole are located on Form I-131 and on the Humanitarian Parole section of the website.

Form I-131 Re-entry

The Vienna Field Office does not issue or extend Re-Entry permits. Instructions on how to obtain or replace a Re-Entry permit are found in the How Do I Get A Travel Document section of the USCIS website.


Form I-590

We are unable to directly receive refugee resettlement applications. These applications should be filed at the Refugee Resettlement Section (RRS) of the U.S. Consulate. We are also unable to check the status of any pending refugee resettlement application. Inquires on pending and previously denied refugee applications should be addressed to the RRS officer or to the Hebrew Immigration Aid Society (HIAS), the Resettlement Service Center (RSC) in Vienna.

For general information and processing criteria please see the Department of State website and the Refugee section on the USCIS website.


Filing Form I-601 and I-212 from Abroad

If you are abroad and otherwise approved to immigrate to the United States, but a Department of State Consular Officer found you ineligible to enter because of one or more grounds of inadmissibility for which a waiver may be available, you may apply for a waiver by filing Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility.

If you left the United States voluntarily after being issued an order of deportation or removal, were deported or removed, or re-entered the U.S. unlawfully after previously accumulating more than one year of unlawful presence, you may apply for readmission to the U.S. by filing Form I-212, Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission Into the United States After Deportation or Removal.


Where to File

On June 4, 2012, USCIS changed where waiver applications are filed. This will provide more efficient and consistent application processing, and allow you to track your case status online. You may also request an email or text message confirming receipt of your waiver by completing and attaching Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance to your application.

Waiver applications and supporting evidence should be mailed directly to the USCIS Lockbox. You may find the address for the appropriate USCIS Lockbox in the form instructions, as well as in the USCIS website at:

I-601 Expedited Adjudication Requests

If you are sending your application to the USCIS Lockbox and believe you have extraordinary circumstances that are time-sensitive and compelling, you may attach a written request to have your application expedited at the time of filing.

If you have already submitted your application to the Lockbox, you can make an expedite request by either contacting the Nebraska Service Center (NSC) directly by email, or by calling the USCIS National Customer Service Center.

For information on how to contact the NSC and our National Customer Service Center, please visit the Contact Us page on the USCIS website.


Permanent Residence


For general information about Permanent Residence, please visit the USCIS website at or download

A lawful permanent resident may apply for admission to the U.S. using his/her Permanent Resident Card, provided he/she has remained outside the United States less than one year and has maintained an unreliquished domicile in the United States.

  • For lost or stolen Permanent Resident Cards see "Transportation Letters" below
  • If you returned to Austria and you are still in possession of your green or white I-94 form, please see the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website.
  • A permanent resident who has sufficient cause to remain outside the United States for more than one year may apply for a Re-entry Permit. The application for issuance of a Reentry Permit, Form I-131, must be submitted prior to departure from the United States. Form I-131, with supporting documentation and fee, must be mailed to the following address:

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services

Nebraska Service Center
P.O. Box 87131
Lincoln, NE 68501-7131

  • Reentry Permits are valid for two years from issuance and cannot be extended or revalidated. Permanent Resident Cards cannot be extended or reissued outside the United States. Failure to return to the United States within the validity of either of these residency documents may jeopardize permanent residence status.
  • Persons who have remained outside the United States for more than one year without a valid Re-entry Permit, or beyond the validity of a Re-entry Permit, may be eligible to apply for a "returning resident visa" with the Department of State Immigrant Visa Section

For general information about returning resident visas, visit the Department of State website.


Expired Conditional Resident Cards (I-551)

Please contact the Vienna Field Office if you are presently outside of the United States and your Conditional Resident Card has expired.


Transportation Boarding Letters

For U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) whose documents have been lost, mutilated, or stolen, please schedule an InfoPass appointment. Three passport photos and a valid passport are required.



U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services USCIS Vienna takes fingerprints for persons who are residents of Austria and who are:

  • Active-duty members of the military or their spouses who are applicants for naturalization; 
  • Spouses of U.S. government employees serving overseas and other applicants for expedited naturalization residing overseas; 
  • Prospective adoptive parents who are filing from overseas; or
  • Applicants for Refugee Travel Documents.

Limited fingerprinting services may also be available to overseas applicants filing for U.S. immigration benefits who present an appropriate letter from a domestic USCIS office stating that fingerprints are required, or in compelling circumstances.  Please contact our office for additional information.

Last Reviewed/Updated: 04/22/2015