Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security
Share This PageShare This Page PrintPrint

Cuba - Havana Field Office

Field Office Director 

Jorge Medina

Service Area

The Havana Field Office has jurisdiction over U.S. immigration benefits for the country of Cuba.

Street Address

As of July 20, the U.S. Interests Section in Havana, Cuba has been upgraded to a U.S. Embassy.  Please note that, while the physical location and the work of the USCIS Field Office there will not change, the street address as of this date is:

U.S. Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
U.S. Embassy - Annex Building
J y Malecon, Vedado
La Habana, Cuba

Mailing Address from the US

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Department of Homeland Security
3200 Havana Place
Washington, D.C. 20521-3200

Express Mail Address

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Department of Homeland Security
3200 Havana Place
Washington, D.C. 20521-3200

Office Location

The Havana Field Office is located at the Annex of the U.S. Embassy on J and Malecon, Vedado.

Hours of Operation 

The office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM. It is closed on Cuban and American holidays.

Phone, Fax Numbers & Email

Phone: 839-4107 from within Cuba.
011-537-839-4107 from the United States.

Fax: The Havana Field Office does not accept public fax inquiries.

E-mail: The Havana Field Office accepts inquiries via e-mail at:

Visiting the office in person

Appointments: Individuals who are eligible for a refugee interview will be scheduled for an appointment by the Havana Field Office.

Walk-ins: U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents who have misplaced their Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) may seek assistance on a walk-in basis.

Parking & Handicap Accessibility: Parking is available near the office.

Accessibility for individuals with special needs is partially available.

Paying Fees

The fees for all applications and petitions submitted to this office must be paid with cash in U.S. dollars (that are equivalent to Cuban convertible pesos (CUCs) or in CUCs. The US Consulate strongly prefers CUCs.  The fees should be paid to the cashier that is located in the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy on J and Malecon, Vedado.

Customer Feedback 

We strive to provide quality service to our customers. If we have not lived up to this commitment, or if we have met or exceeded your expectations, please let us know. To comment on the services provided at this office, please write to the Field Office Director at the address given above, or to the:

District Director
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
PO Box 9000,
Brownsville, TX 78520

If you feel you were mistreated by a U.S. immigration employee, or wish to make a complaint of misconduct by a U.S. immigration employee, you may write to the District Director, or write directly to the:

Department of Homeland Security
Attn: Chief, International Operations Division
20 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Suite 3300
Washington, DC 20529-2100


Immigration forms are available under the Forms section of the USCIS website which can be found to your right under Related Links.


For in-depth information about visas, please check the Department of State section of the U.S. Department of State website.

Form I-407

You should submit your Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status, in person or by mail if you wish to abandon your lawful permanent resident status. 

If you wish to abandon your permanent resident status and give up your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) in person, please see the section above, Visiting the Office in Person, for information on making an appointment and office hours.  If you wish to submit a Form I-407 by mail, please use the mailing address listed above and include your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card), if available. 

The Form I-407 and instructions are available on the Form I-407 Web page

Forms I-600 & I-600A

Information on international adoptions may be found at the Department of State website and on the Adoption section on the USCIS website which can be found to your right under Related Links.

Form N-400 

U.S. immigration offices overseas do not accept or process Naturalization applications from U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) that live overseas. See Citizenship section on the USCIS Website for Naturalization which can be found to your right under Related Links.

Form I-131 Parole

The Havana Field Office does not issue Humanitarian Parole. Individuals must apply for Humanitarian Parole by submitting their applications to:
USCIS Dallas Lockbox
For US Postal Service (USPS) Deliveries:
PO Box 660865
Dallas, TX. 75266

For Express mail and courier deliveries:
Attn: HP
2501 S. State Hwy 121, Business
Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067

Instructions on how to file an application for Humanitarian Parole are located on Form I-131 or on the Humanitarian Parole Section of the USCIS Website which can be found to your right under Related Links.

Form I-131 Re-entry

The Havana Field Office does not issue or extend Re-Entry Permits. Instructions on how to obtain or replace a Re-Entry Permit can be found in the How Do I Get A Travel Document section on the USCIS website which can be found to your right under Related Links.

Form I-590

For general information and processing criteria, please see the Department of State website and the Refugee section on the USCIS website which can be found to your right under Related Links.

Forms I-601 and I-212

If you are outside of the United States and otherwise approved to immigrate to the United States, but a Department of State Consular Officer found you ineligible to enter because of one or more grounds of inadmissibility for which a waiver may be available, you may apply for a waiver by filing Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility.

If you left the U.S. voluntarily after being issued an order of removal, were deported or removed, or reentered the United States unlawfully after having cumulatively accrued more than one year of unlawful presence, you may apply for readmission the U.S. by filing Form I-212, Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission Into the United States After Deportation or Removal.

Where to File

You may have noticed that USCIS has changed where waiver applications are filed. You may now mail your application directly to the USCIS Lockbox Facility specified in the form instructions.

You may also choose to file your waiver application directly with our Havana Office. To schedule your appointment to file your waiver:
• You may call us at: 011-537-834-4511.
• You may email us at: HavanaUSCIS@uscis.DHS.GOV.

Please do not send applications and/or filing fees to the USCIS Havana Office.

I-601 Expedited Adjudication Requests

Applicants for Waivers of Inadmissibility, Form I-601, may request that the USCIS office expedite adjudication of the I-601 waiver application when there are extraordinary circumstances that are time-sensitive, compelling, and necessitate the applicant’s presence in the United States sooner than would be possible if the application were processed under normal processing times. The strong desire to immigrate to the United States as soon as possible is not by itself “extraordinary.” A request to expedite adjudication must be made in writing and delivered to the USCIS Field Office Director. The applicant must provide evidence of the extraordinary and compelling circumstance. If the request to expedite the adjudication of an I-601 waiver is approved, the USCIS office will notify the applicant within 15 days of receipt of the request. If no response is received with 15 days, the applicant must presume the request for the expeditious adjudication has been denied. Please be aware that approval to expedite adjudication of an I 601 waiver application does not guarantee approval of the I-601 waiver application, but only that consideration and adjudication of the I-601 waiver application will be expeditiously handled. If the request for expedited processing is denied, the waiver will be adjudicated within normal processing times.

Transportation Boarding Letters 

A transportation letter may be issued to a Lawful Permanent Resident to replace a lost or stolen Alien Registration Card (Form I-551) by visiting the Havana Field Office during normal business hours.

The following documents will be required:
1. Proper Identification
2. Police Report
3. Proof of Residence in the United States within the last year
4. Passport size photographs (4)
5. Copy of your return airline tickets, if applicable.

Information Notification Updates

The Havana USCIS office is responsible for processing refugees and beneficiaries of several parole programs, as well as certain other applications and petitions.

Refugee Program:

The procedure to apply for the refugee program in Cuba is:
1. Prospective refugee applicants complete and submit a Preliminary Questionnaire (PQ);
2. A State Department caseworker reviews the questionnaire and conducts a prescreening interview to determine whether the applicant is eligible to access the in-country refugee program; and
3. USCIS officers will conduct interviews to determine whether an individual is eligible to be admitted into the United States as a refugee.

For more information about the in-country refugee program and for a copy of the Preliminary Questionnaire, please visit: Individuals in Cuba may also request a Preliminary Questionnaire from: Sección Consular (Refugiados), Sección de Intereses de los E.E.U.U., Embajada de Suiza, Calzada e/L y M, Vedado, C. Habana, Cuba 10400.

The criteria for accessing the in-country refugee adjudication process in Cuba are set forth in an annual Presidential Determination that is issued after consultation with the Congress. The eligibility criteria for admission as a refugee into the United States are in accordance with the 1967 U.N. Protocol that relates to the Status of Refugees, as implemented in U.S. law. To qualify for refugee status, an individual must demonstrate, inter alia, past persecution, or a well-founded fear of future persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion.

Special Cuban Migration Program (Lottery):

The Special Cuban Migration Program (Lottery) allows Cubans to register for legal migration to the United States. All Cubans that live in Cuba and were born between July 15, 1943, and July 15, 1980, are eligible to register. This includes Cubans who have no direct family ties in the U.S. There is no registration fee. The Government of Cuba has not yet agreed on a date for the next lottery.

Other Applications:

Applicants submitting Forms I-90, I-601 or I-130 should follow the instructions that are included with each application.

Last Reviewed/Updated: 07/20/2015