Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security
Share This PageShare This Page PrintPrint

Ghana - Accra Field Office

Field Office Director

Aster Zeleke

Service Area 

The Accra Field Office has jurisdiction over U.S. immigration matters in the following countries: Ghana, Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Chad, Cote d'Ivoire, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.

Street Address 

United States Embassy
24 Fourth Circular Road
East Cantonments
Accra, Ghana

(Please use the public entrance access at the U.S. Consulate, American Citizen Section)

Mailing Address from the US 

Field Office Director
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Department of Homeland Security
American Embassy
Department of State
2020 Accra Place
Washington, D.C. 20521-2020

Mailing Address from Outside the US 

Field Office Director
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Department of Homeland Security
American Embassy
P.O. Box 194
24 Fourth Circular Road
East Cantonments
Accra, Ghana

Express Mail address

Field Office Director
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Department of Homeland Security
American Embassy
24 Fourth Circular Road
East Cantonments
Accra, Ghana

Office Location 

We are located at the U.S. Embassy building in East Cantonments.

Hours of Operation 

The office is open to the public Monday through Thursday from 2:00PM to 4:00PM. The office is closed on Ghanaian and American holidays.

Phone, Fax Numbers & Email 

For general inquiries, please call the following numbers:
(233-302) 741-000 extension 1730.
011-(233-302) 741-000 extension 1730(from the United States)

For specific case inquiries, an e-mail is preferable. Our e-mail address is

Visiting the office in person 

Due to security concerns, appointments should be made by phone. Please call (233-302)-741-000, extension 1730.

Public Transportation 

By Trotro (Taxi/Mini Bus/Van): Ask for the American Visa Section.

Parking & Handicap Accessibility 

Limited Parking is available near the building.

Accessibility for individuals with special needs is available.

Paying Fees 

Fees for applications and petitions are listed in the Forms section on the USCIS website. The fees for all applications and petitions submitted to this office must be paid with Cedis (local currency), US Dollars, or postal money orders. Personal checks are not accepted.

Customer Feedback 

We strive to provide quality service to our customers. If we have not lived up to this commitment, or if we have met or exceeded your expectations, please let us know. To comment on the services provided at this office, please write to the Field Office Director at the address given above, or to the District Director at:

Mailing Address from the United States:

District Director

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Department of Homeland Security
United States Embassy

Unit 9500 Box 37
DPO AE 09624-0037

Mailing Address from Outside the United States and Express Mail:
District Director
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Via Sallustiana 49

00187 Rome, Italy

If you feel you were mistreated by a U.S. immigration employee, or wish to make a complaint of misconduct by a U.S. immigration employee, you may write to the District Director, or write directly to the:

Department of Homeland Security

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services 
Attn: Chief, International Operations Division
20 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Suite 3300
Washington, DC 20529-2100


Immigration forms are available under the Forms section of the USCIS website which can be found to your right under Related Links.


For in-depth information about visas, please check the Visa Services section of the U.S. Department of State website.

Form I-407 

You should submit your Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status, in person or by mail if you wish to abandon your lawful permanent resident status.

If you wish to abandon your permanent resident status and give up your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) in person, please see the section above, Visiting the Office in Person, for information on making an appointment and office hours. If you wish to submit a Form I-407 by mail, please use the mailing address listed above and include your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card), if available.

The Form I-407 and instructions are available on the Form I-407 Web page.


Forms I-600 & I-600A 

Information on intercountry adoptions may be found at the Department of State website, in the Adoption section of the USCIS online website which can be found to your right under Related Links, or in person at the immigration office. Fees are collected at the Consular Section, and an appointment will be set to complete the processing.

Form I-130 

U.S. citizens and U.S. lawful permanent residents, who reside locally in Ghana, and students that are studying at various universities or schools in Ghana, may file a Form I-130 with the USCIS Office in Accra. You must make an appointment to file your Form I-130. For local filing procedures, you may call or email to make an appointment.

When filing, you must present residence cards, resident permit stamps, and/or employment documents.

The filing fee can only be paid in Cedis (local currency) or US Dollars. The Embassy cashier cannot accept personal checks.

For inquiries on this or any other information, please contact the Accra Field Office at (233-302)-741-000 extension 1730.

For inquiries on the Immigrant Visa process, please contact the Embassy's Immigrant Visa Branch directly at (233-302)-740-000 extension 1710.

Form N-400 

USCIS offices overseas are only authorized to process applications for Naturalization for active duty military members and certain eligible family members. See the USCIS Website's Citizenship section for eligibility criteria and proper filing procedures.

Form I-131 Parole

The Accra Field Office does not issue Humanitarian Parole. Individuals must apply for Humanitarian Parole by submitting their applications to:
USCIS Dallas Lockbox
For US Postal Service (USPS) Deliveries:
PO Box 660865
Dallas, TX. 75266

For Express mail and courier deliveries:
Attn: HP
2501 S. State Hwy 121, Business
Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067

Instructions on how to file an application for Humanitarian Parole are located on Form I-131.

Form I-131 Re-entry 

The Accra Field Office does not issue or extend Re-Entry Permits. Instructions on how to obtain or replace a Re-Entry Permit are found under the How Do I Get A Travel Document section, or you may call or email to make an appointment to come to the office.

Form I-590 

The Accra Field Office is unable to directly receive refugee resettlement applications. These applications should be filed at the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) or at the Refugee Resettlement Section (RRS) of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. We are unable to check the status of any pending refugee resettlement application. Inquires on pending and previously denied refugee application should be addressed to UNHCR, Joint Voluntary Agency (JVA), or the RRS officer. For general information and processing criteria please see the Department of State website and the Refugee section on the USCIS website which can be found to your right under Related Links.

Related Refugee Information:

            Homeland Security’s (DHS) Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)  and the  Resettlement Support Center(RSC) located in Nairobi, Kenya.    

You may contact RSC at:    
Refugee Case Inquiries:
CO inquiries:

The mailing address and telephone number are: 

Resettlement Support Center
P. O. Box 14176
Nairobi, Westlands, Kenya 00800
Tel: +254 (0) 20 444 0150/3/4

Filing Form I-601 and I-212 from Abroad

If you are abroad and otherwise approved to immigrate to the United States, but a Department of State Consular Officer found you ineligible to enter because of one or more grounds of inadmissibility for which a waiver may be available, you may apply for a waiver by filing Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility.

If you left the United States voluntarily after being issued an order of deportation or removal, were deported or removed, or re-entered the U.S. unlawfully after previously accumulating more than one year of unlawful presence, you may apply for readmission to the U.S. by filing Form I-212, Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission Into the United States After Deportation or Removal. 

Where to File

On June 4, 2012, USCIS changed where waiver applications are filed. This will provide more efficient and consistent application processing, and allow you to track your case status online. You may also request an email or text message confirming receipt of your waiver by completing and attaching Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance to your application.

Waiver applications and supporting evidence should be mailed directly to the USCIS Lockbox. You may find the address for the appropriate USCIS Lockbox in the form instructions, as well as in the USCIS website at:

Our office will process your application if you submitted it on or before June 4, 2012. 

Please see the policy memorandum, Exceptions for Permitting the Filing of Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility, and any associated Form I-212, Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission into the United States After Deportation or Removal, at an International USCIS Offices, for more information.

I-601 Expedited Adjudication Requests

If you are sending your application to the USCIS Lockbox and believe you have extraordinary circumstances that are time-sensitive and compelling, you may attach a written request to have your application expedited at the time of filing.

If you have already submitted your application to the Lockbox, you can make an expedite request by either contacting the Nebraska Service Center (NSC) directly by email, or by calling the USCIS National Customer Service Center.

For information on how to contact the NSC and our National Customer Service Center, please visit the Contact Us page on the USCIS website. 

If you filed a Form I-601 with this office on or before June 4, 2012, and it is still pending, you may request that the USCIS office expedite adjudication of your application when there are extraordinary circumstances that are time-sensitive, compelling, and would require you to be in the U.S. sooner than would be possible if your application was processed under a normal time frame. A strong desire to immigrate to the United States as soon as possible is not by itself “extraordinary.”

You must deliver a written request to expedite adjudication to the USCIS Field Office Director. You must also provide evidence of the extraordinary and compelling circumstance.

If your request to expedite the adjudication of an I-601 waiver is approved, the USCIS office will notify you within 15 days of receipt of your request. If you do not receive a response within 15 days, then it is very likely that your request has been denied.

Please be aware that approval to expedite adjudication of an I-601 waiver application does not guarantee that you will be approved, but only that consideration and adjudication of the I-601 waiver application will be expeditiously handled. If additional evidence is required, the adjudication of your application may be delayed. You will receive a Request for Evidence if additional evidence is needed. If your request for expedited processing is denied, your waiver will be adjudicated within normal processing times.

Transportation Boarding Letters 

A transportation letter may be issued to a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident to replace a lost or stolen Alien Registration Card (Form I-551) by visiting the Accra Field Office during normal business hours. You must make an
appointment to file for a transportation letter.

Please call or email the USCIS Accra Field Office for more information and be prepared to give specific information regarding your immigration status in the United States and the circumstances surrounding the loss of the document. Police reports are required for stolen documents.


U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services USCIS Accra takes fingerprints for persons who are residents of Ghana and who are:

  • Active-duty members of the military or their spouses who are applicants for naturalization; 
  • Spouses of U.S. government employees serving overseas and other applicants for expedited naturalization residing overseas; 
  • Prospective adoptive parents who are filing from overseas; or
  • Applicants for Refugee Travel Documents.

Limited fingerprinting services may also be available to overseas applicants filing for U.S. immigration benefits who present an appropriate letter from a domestic USCIS office stating that fingerprints are required, or in compelling circumstances.  Please contact our office for additional information.

Last Reviewed/Updated: 04/22/2015