Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security
Share This PageShare This Page PrintPrint

Guatemala - Guatemala City Field Office

ALERT: USCIS Changes International District Names

Field Office Director

Kristen Smith

Service Area

The Guatemala City Field Office has jurisdiction over the countries of Guatemala and Belize.

Street Address

Avenida Reforma 7-01, Zona 10
01010 Ciudad de Guatemala

Mailing Address from the US

Unit 3190
Box 299
DPO AA 34024-0299

Mailing Address from Outside the US

American Embassy
Avenida Reforma 7-01 Zona 10
01010 Ciudad de Guatemala

Express Mail
American Embassy
Avenida Reforma 7-01, Zona 10
01010 Ciudad de Guatemala

Office Location 

The Guatemala City Field Office is located within the US Embassy on Avenida Reforma in Zone 10.

Hours of Operation

USCIS Guatemala serves the public at Window # 5 of the Consular Section on a first come-first served basis Monday through Thursday at 1:00 PM. Please form a line at the consular entrance prior to 1pm.  All persons waiting in line at 1:00pm will be allowed to enter and receive service at Window # 5.

Phone, Fax Numbers & Email

Phone: (502) 2326-4000. If calling from the United States, please dial 011 first.

Fax: (502) 2339-2472

E-mail: General inquiries:
Adoption inquiries:
Congressional inquiries:

Visiting the office in person

Walk-ins: Walk-ins are accepted at Public Service Window # 5, Monday through Thursday at 1:00pm. 

Public Transportation

Taxi: This is the easiest way to get to us.  According to the Department of State's country conditions report, "Hailing taxis on the street in Guatemala City is discouraged.  Taxi Seguro can be reached at 2312-4243, but may not always be available, especially late at night.  Taxis Amarillo Express is a radio-dispatch taxi service, and can be reached by dialing 1766.  The taxi driver will know where the US Embassy is located.

Parking & Handicap Accessibility

Public Parking is available nearby the Embassy building.

Accessibility for those with special needs is available.

Paying Fees

Fees for applications and petitions are listed on the Forms section of the USCIS website. The fees for all applications and petitions submitted to this office must be paid, with either Quetzals or U.S. dollars, to the cashier at the American Consulate General in Guatemala City.  Fees must be paid in cash or by international credit card.  No checks or money orders are accepted.

Customer Feedback

We strive to provide quality service to our customers. If we have not lived up to this commitment, or if we have met or exceeded your expectations, please let us know. To comment on the services provided at this office, please write to the Field Office Director at the address given above, or to the:

District Director
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
PO Box 9000,
Brownsville, TX 78520

If you feel you were mistreated by a U.S. immigration employee, or wish to make a complaint of misconduct by a U.S. immigration employee, you may write to the District Director, or write directly to the:

Department of Homeland Security
Attn: Chief, International Operations Division
20 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Suite 3300
Washington, DC 20529-2100


Immigration forms are available under the Forms section of the USCIS website which can be found to your right under Related Links.


USCIS is not responsible for visa issuance.  For in-depth information about visas, please check the Visa Services section of the U.S. Department of State website.

Form I-407 

The abandonment of lawful permanent resident status is irrevocable. An individual who relinquishes lawful permanent resident status must qualify again for such status. Therefore, one should give careful thought to abandoning lawful permanent resident status.

If you wish to abandon your permanent residence and relinquish your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card), please visit us at the embassy during our public hours, or email us at

Forms I-600 & I-600A

USCIS Guatemala City is only accepting Form I-600 (Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative) if the Form I-600A was originally submitted to the USCIS office having jurisdiction over the place of residence of the petitioners before April 1, 2008 and if the beneficiary child was born before December 31, 2007 and the case is considered grandfathered by the Guatemalan National Council on Adoptions (CNA).

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services is not processing I-800A petitions because the Department of State is unable to verify, as required by Section 301(a) of the Intercountry Adoption Act (IAA), that the requirements of the Hague Adoption Convention have been met in cases from Guatemala.

Information on intercountry adoptions and procedures may be found at the Department of State website and in the Adoption section on the USCIS website which can be found to your right under Related Links.

For specific information regarding international adoptions in Guatemala, please visit the Guatemala section of the Department of State's website.

For questions regarding a pending I-600 on file with our office, please contact us at:

Form I-130

U.S. citizens that have legally resided in Guatemala for at least 6 months may file Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) at the Guatemala City office in person during our public window hours.

Form N-400

U.S. immigration offices overseas do not accept or process Naturalization applications from U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) that live overseas. See the Citizenship section on the USCIS Website which can be found to your right under Related Links for Naturalization eligibility criteria and the proper filing procedures.

Form I-131 Parole 

The Guatemala City Field Office does not issue Humanitarian Parole. For furture information on how to request Humanitarian Parole, please refer to the instruction page for Form I-131.

Form I-131 Re-entry

The Guatemala City Field Office does not issue or extend Re-Entry Permits. Instructions on how to obtain or replace a Re-entry Permit may be found on the instruction pages for Form I-131 and in the How Do I Get A Travel Document section of the USCIS website which can be found to your right under Related Links.

If you have already been approved for a re-entry permit, please contact us at: to ensure that the permit is awaiting your pick-up in our office.

Form I-590

The Guatemala City Field Office does not directly accept refugee resettlement applications. The applications should be filed with the State Department's local designated voluntary agencies in Guatemala. We are also unable to check the status of any pending refugee resettlement application. Please contact the voluntary agency to which the application was submitted. Inquiries on previously rejected refugee applications should also be addressed to the voluntary agency with which the application was submitted.

For general information and processing criteria, please see the Department of State website and the Refugee section of the USCIS website which can be found to your right under Related Links.

Filing Form I-601 and I-212 from Abroad

If you are abroad and otherwise approved to immigrate to the United States, but a Department of State Consular Officer found you ineligible to enter because of one or more grounds of inadmissibility for which a waiver may be available, you may apply for a waiver by filing Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility.

If you left the United States voluntarily after being issued an order of deportation or removal, were deported or removed, or re-entered the U.S. unlawfully after previously accumulating more than one year of unlawful presence, you may apply for readmission to the U.S. by filing Form I-212, Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission Into the United States After Deportation or Removal. 

Where to File

On June 4, 2012, USCIS changed where waiver applications are filed. This will provide more efficient and consistent application processing, and allow you to track your case status online. You may also request an email or text message confirming receipt of your waiver by completing and attaching Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance to your application.

Waiver applications and supporting evidence should be mailed directly to the USCIS Lockbox. You may find the address for the appropriate USCIS Lockbox in the form instructions, as well as in the USCIS website at:

Please see the policy memorandum, Exceptions for Permitting the Filing of Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility, and any associated Form I-212, Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission into the United States After Deportation or Removal, at an International USCIS Offices, for more information.

I-601 Expedited Adjudication Requests

If you are sending your application to the USCIS Lockbox and believe you have extraordinary circumstances that are time-sensitive and compelling, you may attach a written request to have your application expedited at the time of filing.

If you have already submitted your application to the Lockbox, you can make an expedite request by either contacting the Nebraska Service Center (NSC) directly by email, or by calling the USCIS National Customer Service Center.

For information on how to contact the NSC and our National Customer Service Center, please visit the Contact Us page on the USCIS website. 

Please be aware that approval to expedite adjudication of an I-601 waiver application does not guarantee that you will be approved, but only that consideration and adjudication of the I-601 waiver application will be expeditiously handled. If additional evidence is required, the adjudication of your application may be delayed. You will receive a Request for Evidence if additional evidence is needed. If your request for expedited processing is denied, your waiver will be adjudicated within normal processing times.

Transportation Boarding Letters 

A transportation letter may be issued to a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident to replace a lost or stolen Alien Registration Card (Form I-551) by visiting the Guatemala Field office during public window hours. The letter will be issued after a personal interview at public window number five.  The normal processing time is two weeks.

The following documents will be required:
1. Passport
2. Police Report (if card was lost or stolen)
3. Proof of last departure from the United States.
4. Proof of a future airline reservation returning to the United States.

Fingerprint Processing for USCIS Petitions and Applications
For I-914/I-918 Applications, appointment should be made in advance via e-mail at or in person during our public window hours.
If you are currently residing in Guatemala and have filed form I-600 or I-600A, you may be eligible to have your fingerprints taken at our office.
Please contact us at:

Verification of Departure
USCIS processes verification of departure on behalf of ICE.  Applicants must show:
1.  Removal/Deportation Order
2.  Proof of last departure from the U.S.
3.  Valid ID (DPI, cedula, passport, travel permit)

Last Reviewed/Updated: 04/15/2014