Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security
Share This PageShare This Page PrintPrint

Italy - Rome Field Office

Field Office Director

Laurie O'Bryon

Service Area

The Rome Field Office has direct jurisdiction over U.S. immigration matters in the following countries: Italy, Algeria, Andorra, France, Gibraltar, Holy See, Libya, Malta, Mauritania, Monaco, Morocco, Portugal, San Marino, Spain, Tunisia, and Western Sahara.

Street Address

Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
American Embassy
Via Veneto 121
00187 Rome Italy

Mailing Address from the US

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Department of Homeland Security
9500 Rome Place
Washington D.C. 20521-9500

Mailing Address from Outside the US and for Express Mail

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Department of Homeland Security
American Embassy
Via Sallustiana 49
00187 Rome, Italy

Office Location

The Rome Field Office of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) at the U.S. Embassy in Rome is located on the ground floor of the Consular Building on the corner of Via Vittorio Veneto and Via Boncompagni.

Hours of Operation

The office is open to the public on an appointment basis on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 09:00 to 11:00, and open to persons without an appointment, on a first-come, first-served basis, on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, from 11:00 to 12:00. In person appointments can be made online via InfoPass.

The office is closed on American and Italian public holidays.

Phone, Fax Numbers & E-mail

If calling from the United States, please dial 011 first.
39-06-4674-2190 (from outside Italy) (8.30-12.30 Rome time)
06-4674-2190 (within Italy) (8.30-12.30)

39-06-4674-2920 (from outside Italy)
06-4674-2920 (within Italy)


Visiting the office in person

Appointments are scheduled on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM and can be made online via InfoPass. Choose your country of residence under the list of countries rather than entering a zip code and select the first option “you need information or other services” regardless of the type of service being sought.. Please bring a printout of your InfoPass appointment letter and a photo ID with you to the appointment.

If you are unable to make an InPass appointment, walk-ins will be handled on a first-come, first-served basis on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, between 11:00 AM and 12:00 PM, except on American and Italian public holidays.

Public Transportation

Taxi or other public transportation is recommended.

Public transportation information can be found at

Parking & Handicap Accessibility

Pay parking is available in the Ludovisi Garage on Via Ludovisi or in the Borghese Garage on Corso d'Italia.

Accessibility for individuals with special needs is available.

Paying Fees

The fees for applications and petitions submitted to this office must be paid:

  • In cash with either U.S. dollars or Euro only if the application is filed in person at the US Embassy in Rome; or
  • By a cashier’s check, money order, or international bank draft, made payable in U.S. Dollars to the U.S. Embassy Rome, issued by a U.S. bank or by a U.S. military Post Office facility; or
  • By a cashier’s check (assegno circolare) in Euros, issued by an Italian bank, made payable to the U.S. Embassy Rome.
  • By Credit Card (The accepted cards are: Visa MasterCard, American Express, Discover/Novus, Diners Club International)

Personal checks are not accepted.

Customer Feedback

We strive to provide quality service to our customers. If we have not lived up to this commitment, or if we have met or exceeded your expectations, please let us know. To comment on the services provided at this office, please write to the District Director at the mailing address given above.

If you feel you were mistreated by a U.S. immigration employee, or wish to make a complaint of misconduct by a U.S. immigration employee, you may write to the District Director, or write directly to the:
Department of Homeland Security
Attn: Chief, International Operations Division
20 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Suite 3300
Washington, DC 20529-2100


 Immigration forms are available under the Forms section of the USCIS website which can be found to your right under Related Links.


 For in-depth information about visas, please check the Visa Services section of the U.S. Department of State website.

Form I-407

You should submit your Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status, in person or by mail if you wish to abandon your lawful permanent resident status.

If you wish to abandon your permanent resident status and give up your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) in person, please see the section above, Visiting the Office in Person, for information on making an appointment and office hours. If you wish to submit a Form I-407 by mail, please use the mailing address listed above and include your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card), if available.

The Form I-407 and instructions are available on the Form I-407 Web page.


Forms I-600 & I-600A

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services at the U.S. Embassy in Rome accepts I-600A petitions by mail or at InfoPass appointments from U.S. citizens who reside in our jurisdiction (Please refer to the Infopass instructions in section “Visiting the office in person”).I-600 petitions are normally filed at Consular Posts where the respective child resides. In certain situations, the petition will be filed in another office. Please contact USCIS, the Immigrant Visa issuing post, or the adoption agency for more information. Our jurisdiction includes Italy, Algeria, Andorra, France, Gibraltar, Holy See, Libya, Malta, Mauritania, Monaco, Morocco, Portugal, San Marino, Spain, Tunisia, and Western Sahara.  

For more information on International Adoptions please review the Adoptions Section on the USCIS Website which can be found to your right under Related Links.

Form I-130 

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services at the U.S. Embassy in Rome accepts I-130 petitions by mail or in person from U.S. citizens who reside in Italy. U.S. citizens whose principal residence is not in Italy, and/or are abroad temporarily as a visitor or on business, must file the petition in the United States.

Form N-400 

Naturalization is the process by which U.S. citizenship is conferred upon a foreign citizen or national after he or she fulfills the requirements established by Congress in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

Form I-131 Refugee Travel Documents

You may apply for a Refugee Travel Document with the Rome District Office if you are in our service area. File Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, by mail or in person at an InfoPass appointment (please read “Visiting the office in person” above). You must be fingerprinted using Form FD258. Fingerprints can be taken at U.S. Embassies or Consulates. Our office will take your fingerprints if you live in Italy.

We must have enough time to process your application and deliver your travel document so you can return to the United States within one year of leaving. If we do not have enough time or your application is urgent, we may ask that the Field Office or U.S. Embassy/Consulate with jurisdiction issue a transportation/boarding letter instead of a Refugee Travel Document. These letters are issued in urgent cases; do not delay your application anticipating a transportation/boarding letter as an option.

Form I-131 Parole 

Applications for humanitarian parole may be filed by mail with the USCIS International Operations Division. Applications should be mailed to:

For US Postal Service (USPS) Deliveries:
USCIS Dallas Lockbox
PO Box 660865
Dallas, TX. 75266

For Express mail and courier deliveries:
Attn: HP
2501 S. State Hwy 121, Business
Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067

Form I-131 Re-entry 

Applications for Reentry Permits must be filed while the respective applicant is physically in the United States. Reentry Permits cannot be issued or extended overseas. However, after filing an application for a Reentry Permit in the US, you may have it mailed to a USCIS Office overseas or the Consular Section at a US Embassy or Consulate. If you are notified that your Reentry Permit is available at the USCIS Rome Field Office, please make an InfoPass appointment to pick it up (Please refer to the Infopass instructions in section “Visiting the office in person”).

Filing Form I-601 and I-212 from Abroad

If you are abroad and otherwise approved to immigrate to the United States, but a Department of State Consular Officer found you ineligible to enter because of one or more grounds of inadmissibility for which a waiver may be available, you may apply for a waiver by filing Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility.

If you left the United States voluntarily after being issued an order of deportation or removal, were deported or removed, or re-entered the U.S. unlawfully after previously accumulating more than one year of unlawful presence, you may apply for readmission to the U.S. by filing Form I-212, Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission Into the United States After Deportation or Removal. 

Where to File

On June 4, 2012, USCIS changed where waiver applications are filed. This will provide more efficient and consistent application processing, and allow you to track your case status online. You may also request an email or text message confirming receipt of your waiver by completing and attaching Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance to your application.

Waiver applications and supporting evidence should be mailed directly to the USCIS Lockbox. You may find the address for the appropriate USCIS Lockbox in the form instructions, as well as in the USCIS website at:

Our office will process your application if you submitted it on or before June 4, 2012. 

Please see the policy memorandum, Exceptions for Permitting the Filing of Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility, and any associated Form I-212, Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission into the United States After Deportation or Removal, at an International USCIS Offices, for more information.

I-601 Expedited Adjudication Requests

If you are sending your application to the USCIS Lockbox and believe you have extraordinary circumstances that are time-sensitive and compelling, you may attach a written request to have your application expedited at the time of filing.

If you have already submitted your application to the Lockbox, you can make an expedite request by either contacting the Nebraska Service Center (NSC) directly by email, or by calling the USCIS National Customer Service Center.

For information on how to contact the NSC and our National Customer Service Center, please visit the Contact Us page on the USCIS website. 

If you filed a Form I-601 with this office on or before June 4, 2012, and it is still pending, you may request that the USCIS office expedite adjudication of your application when there are extraordinary circumstances that are time-sensitive, compelling, and would require you to be in the U.S. sooner than would be possible if your application was processed under a normal time frame. A strong desire to immigrate to the United States as soon as possible is not by itself “extraordinary.”

You must deliver a written request to expedite adjudication to the USCIS Field Office Director. You must also provide evidence of the extraordinary and compelling circumstance.

If your request to expedite the adjudication of an I-601 waiver is approved, the USCIS office will notify you within 15 days of receipt of your request. If you do not receive a response within 15 days, then it is very likely that your request has been denied.

Please be aware that approval to expedite adjudication of an I-601 waiver application does not guarantee that you will be approved, but only that consideration and adjudication of the I-601 waiver application will be expeditiously handled. If additional evidence is required, the adjudication of your application may be delayed. You will receive a Request for Evidence if additional evidence is needed. If your request for expedited processing is denied, your waiver will be adjudicated within normal processing times.

Permanent Residence

For general information about Permanent Residence, please visit the USCIS website at  
A lawful permanent resident may apply for admission to the U.S. using his/her Permanent Resident Card, provided he/she has remained outside the United States less than one year and has maintained an unreliquished domicile in the United States.

  • For lost or stolen Permanent Resident Cards see " Transportation Letters" on the Rome U.S. "Customs and Border Protection" webpage.
    If you returned to Italy and you are still in possession of your green, or white, I-94 form see Record of Arrival and Departure (I-94), on the Rome U.S. “Customs and Border Protection” webpage.
  • A permanent resident who has sufficient cause to remain outside the United States for more than one year may apply for a Reentry Permit. The application for issuance of a Reentry Permit, Form I-131, must be submitted prior to departure from the United States. Form I-131, with supporting documentation and fee, must be mailed to the following address:
    United States Citizenship and Immigration Services
    Nebraska Service Center
    P.O. Box 87131
    Lincoln, NE 68501-7131
  • Reentry Permits are valid for two years from issuance and cannot be extended or revalidated. Permanent Resident Cards cannot be extended or reissued outside the United States. Failure to return to the United States within the validity of either of these residency documents may jeopardize permanent residence status.
  • Persons who have remained outside the United States for more than one year without a valid Reentry Permit, or beyond the validity of a Reentry Permit, may be eligible to apply for a "returning resident visa" with the Department of State Immigrant Visa Section at the U.S. Consulate in Naples.
    For general information about returning resident visas, visit the Department of State website.

Expired Permanent Resident Cards (I-551)

Most Permanent Resident Cards, commonly known as Green Cards (Form I-551), currently in circulation, have an expiration date and are required to be renewed every ten years. This enables the Department of Homeland Security to improve the quality of the card and make it less susceptible to fraud.
According the DHS’ Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Permanent Residents who have an expired ten-year Card (Form I-551) and are presently outside the U.S. may STILL enter the U.S. without the issuance of a transportation letter. Please be advised that lawful permanent residents with an expiring/expired Permanent Resident Cards do not lose their legal status in the United States - their lawful permanent resident status does not expire or change. However, they should renew their expiring Permanent Resident Cards in order to maintain acceptable evidence of their permanent resident status and avoid possible difficulties in obtaining employment, benefits, and re-entry into the United States after traveling abroad.
Transportation Companies are authorized to permit boarding of any bona fide Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) in possession of an expired Permanent Resident Card with a ten-year expiration date, if the expiration date on the card is the only reason that the LPR would otherwise not be boarded. Airlines are to permit boarding without any penalty to the LPR.
Carriers must be informed that this policy does not affect Conditional Permanent Resident cardholders whose cards have a two-year expiration date. The Conditional Permanent Resident in possession of an expired Conditional Resident Card must continue to have evidence that the Conditional Resident Card expiration date has been extended.
An application (I-90) for a replacement Permanent Resident Card must be filed with a US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office in the U.S. as soon as possible. Form I-90 (Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card) can be retrieved from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website.

Expired Conditional Resident Cards (I-551)

Please contact the USCIS Rome Field Office if you are presently outside of the United States and your Conditional Resident Card has expired.

Transportation Boarding Letters

DHS Customs and Border Protection (CBP) may issue a transportation letter to a Lawful Permanent Resident to replace an expired, lost or stolen Alien Registration Card (Form I-551). To make an appointment at the U.S. Embassy in Rome, Italy, please send an email to


USCIS Rome takes fingerprints for persons who are residents of Italy and who are:

  • Active-duty members of the military or their spouses who are applicants for naturalization;
  • Spouses of U.S. government employees serving overseas and other applicants for expedited naturalization residing overseas;
  • Prospective adoptive parents who are filing from overseas; or
  • Applicants for Refugee Travel Documents.

Limited fingerprinting services may also be available to overseas applicants filing for U.S. immigration benefits who present an appropriate letter from a domestic USCIS office stating that fingerprints are required, or in compelling circumstances.  Please contact our office for additional information.

Last Reviewed/Updated: 04/22/2015