Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security
Share This PageShare This Page PrintPrint

South Africa - Johannesburg Field Office

Field Office Director

Mark Baxter

Service Area 

The Johannesburg Field Office has jurisdiction over U.S. immigration matters in the following countries: South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland, Mozambique, Namibia, Angola, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, Madagascar, Botswana, Comoros Islands, and Mauritius.

Street Address

United States Consulate General
1 Sandton Drive
Johannesburg, South Africa

Mailing Address from the US 

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
U.S. Department of State
2500 Johannesburg Street
Washington, D.C. 20521-2500

Mailing Address from Outside the US 

American Consulate General
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
P.O. Box 787197
Johannesburg, South Africa

Express Mail address 
American Consulate General
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
1 Sandton Drive
Johannesburg, South Africa

Office Location 

We are located at 1 Sandton Drive on the corner of Sandton and Rivonia Roads. (Opposite Sandton City Shopping Mall).

Hours of Operation 

The USCIS office is open Monday through Thursday 7:45 AM to 5:15 PM. On Fridays the office is open 7:45 AM to 12:45 PM. The office is closed on all South African and American holidays.

Phone, Fax Numbers & Email 

You may call our office directly or send an email inquiry.

Daily calling hours are from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM only.

Please dial 27 11 290 3230

You may also send an e-mail inquiry at any time to:

Visiting the office in person


To file applications with USCIS or to speak to someone in person, we recommend that an appointment be made in advance by calling the above number or e-mailing your request.

The Johannesburg Field Office is open for walk-in on Thursdays 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM.

Public Transportation 

Information not available.

Parking & Handicap Accessibility 

Pay parking is available at the Sandton City Mall. Parking within the consulate is not available.

Accessibility for individuals with special needs is available upon request prior to your appointment.

Paying Fees 

Fees for applications and petitions are listed on the Forms section of the USCIS website. The fees for all applications and petitions submitted to this office must be paid with either U.S. dollars, South African Rand, Credit Card, or a South African Bank issued check in a Rand amount. All checks must be made payable to the ''United States Disbursing Officer'' please contact our office for the exchange rate and more details related to this form of payment. No personal checks are accepted.

Customer Feedback 

We strive to provide quality service to our customers. If we have not lived up to this commitment, or if we have met or exceeded your expectations, please let us know. To comment on the services provided at this office, please write to the Field Office Director at the address given above, or to the District Director:

Mailing Address from the United States:

District Director
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
United States Embassy
Unit 9500 Box 37
DPO AE 09624-0037

Mailing Address from Outside the United States and Express Mail:

District Director
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Via Sallustiana 49
00187 Roma, Italy

If you feel you were mistreated by a U.S. immigration employee, or wish to make a complaint of misconduct by a U.S. immigration employee, you may write to the District Director, or write directly to the:

Department of Homeland Security
USCI Citizenship and Immigration Services
Attn: Chief, International Operations Division
20 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Suite 3300
Washington, DC 20529-2100


Immigration forms are available under the Forms section of the USCIS website which can be found on the right under related links.


For in-depth information about visas, please check the Visa Services section of the U.S. Department of State website. You may also check the following websites and '

Form I-407

You should submit your Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status, in person or by mail if you wish to abandon your lawful permanent resident status.

If you wish to abandon your permanent resident status and give up your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) in person, please see the section above, Visiting the Office in Person, for information on making an appointment and office hours. If you wish to submit a Form I-407 by mail, please use the mailing address listed above and include your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card), if available.

The Form I-407 and instructions are available on the Form I-407 Web page.


Forms I-600 & I-600A 

Forms I-600 and I-600A may be obtained from the USCIS website at South Africa and the U.S. are signatories to the HAGUE CONVENTION.

Information on intercountry adoptions may be found at the Department of State website and in the Adoption section on the USCIS website which can be found on the right under related links.

Form I-130 

The USCIS office at the US consulate will accept I-130 Visa petitions from US citizens who reside in South Africa. US citizens who reside in the United States should file at USCIS offices located in the US. Please consult the USCIS website for forms, fees and filing instructions.

Form N-400 

USCIS offices overseas are only authorized to process applications for Naturalization for active duty military members and certain eligible family members. See the Citizenship section of the USCIS Website for Naturalization eligibility criteria and the proper filing procedures.

Form I-131 Parole 

The Johannesburg Field Office does not issue Humanitarian Parole. Instructions on how to file an application for Humanitarian Parole are located on Form I-131.

Individuals must apply for parole by submitting their applications to:

For US Postal Service (USPS) Deliveries:
USCIS Dallas Lockbox
PO Box 660865
Dallas, TX. 75266

For Express mail and courier deliveries:
Attn: HP
2501 S. State Hwy 121, Business
Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067

Form I-131 Re-entry 

The Johannesburg Field Office does not issue or extend Re-Entry Permits.

Instructions on how to obtain or replace a Re-Entry Permit are found in the How Do I Get A Travel Document section on the USCIS website which can be found on the right under related links.

Form I-590

The Johannesburg Field Office does not directly accept refugee resettlement applications. If you believe you may be eligible for resettlement to the United States, you should contact the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees in Pretoria.

Filing Form I-601 and I-212 from Abroad

If you are abroad and otherwise approved to immigrate to the United States, but a Department of State Consular Officer found you ineligible to enter because of one or more grounds of inadmissibility for which a waiver may be available, you may apply for a waiver by filing Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility.

If you left the United States voluntarily after being issued an order of deportation or removal, were deported or removed, or re-entered the U.S. unlawfully after previously accumulating more than one year of unlawful presence, you may apply for readmission to the U.S. by filing Form I-212, Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission Into the United States After Deportation or Removal.

Where to File

On June 4, 2012, USCIS changed where waiver applications are filed. This will provide more efficient and consistent application processing, and allow you to track your case status online. You may also request an email or text message confirming receipt of your waiver by completing and attaching Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance to your application.

Waiver applications and supporting evidence should be mailed directly to the USCIS Lockbox. You may find the address for the appropriate USCIS Lockbox in the form instructions, as well as in the USCIS website at:


Please see the policy memorandum, Exceptions for Permitting the Filing of Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility, and any associated Form I-212, Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission into the United States After Deportation or Removal, at an International USCIS Offices, for more information.

I-601 Expedited Adjudication Requests

If you are sending your application to the USCIS Lockbox and believe you have extraordinary circumstances that are time-sensitive and compelling, you may attach a written request to have your application expedited at the time of filing.

If you have already submitted your application to the Lockbox, you can make an expedite request by either contacting the Nebraska Service Center (NSC) directly by email, or by calling the USCIS National Customer Service Center.

For information on how to contact the NSC and our National Customer Service Center, please visit the Contact Us page on the USCIS website.

Transportation Boarding Letters 

DHS Customs and Border Protection (CBP) may issue a transportation letter to Lawful Permanent Residents, whose documents have been lost or stolen, provided eligibility criteria are met. Please contact Tarance Drafts, CBP attaché, at 27 11 290 3080 or 3225.


U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services USCIS Johannesburg takes fingerprints for persons who are residents of South Africa and who are:

  • Active-duty members of the military or their spouses who are applicants for naturalization; 
  • Spouses of U.S. government employees serving overseas and other applicants for expedited naturalization residing overseas; 
  • Prospective adoptive parents who are filing from overseas; or
  • Applicants for Refugee Travel Documents.

Limited fingerprinting services may also be available to overseas applicants filing for U.S. immigration benefits who present an appropriate letter from a domestic USCIS office stating that fingerprints are required, or in compelling circumstances.  Please contact our office for additional information.

Last Reviewed/Updated: 06/16/2015