Official Website of the United States Department of Homeland Security
Share This PageShare This Page PrintPrint

South Korea - Seoul Field Office

ALERT:  USCIS Changes International District Names

Field Office Director

Walter Haith

Service Area

The Seoul Field Office has jurisdiction over immigration benefits for Korea and Japan.

Street Address
United States Embassy
Third Floor, Window #3
32 Sejong-no, Jongno-gu
Seoul, 110-710 Korea

Mailing Address from the U.S.

Field Office Director
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
c/o American Embassy
Unit 15550
APO-AP 96205-5550

Express Mail address

Field Office Director
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
c/o American Embassy
32 Sejong-no, Jongno-gu
Seoul, 110-710, South Korea

Office Location

We are located in downtown Seoul, near City Hall, directly across from the Sejong Cultural Center, and adjacent to the Korea Telecom and Kyobo Life Insurance Buildings. Please use the public entrance access.

Hours of Operation

The office is open to the public Monday through Friday from 9:30 AM to 11:30 AM and from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM. The office is closed on Korean and American holidays.

Phone, Fax Numbers & E-mail

For general inquiries in Korean or English, please call the following numbers:
(822) 397-4282 or (822) 397-4548 (within Korea)
11-822-397-4282 or 11-822-397-4548 (from the United States)

For specific case inquiries, a fax is preferable. Our fax number is (822) 720-7419.


Walk-ins - General Inquiries
General Inquiries are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Email inquiries are preferred and USCIS Seoul can be contacted at

Public Transportation

By Bus - Take Numbers 83, 28, 136, 8, 6, 59, 23, 5, 38 that stop near the Embassy. Get off at the Kyobo Building Stop or the Korean Telecom Building Stop. (The bus schedule subject to change.)

By Subway - Take Line #5 and get off at the Kwanghamun Station.

Parking & Handicap Accessibility

Parking is available near the building, but not within the Embassy compound.

Handicap Accessibility
Accessibility for individuals with special needs is available.

Paying Fees

Fees for applications and petitions are listed in the Forms section of the USCIS website. Payment may be made with Won or U.S. dollars, and postal money orders. Proper identification, a local address, or a telephone number may be requested for money orders. Certified checks are not accepted. The Embassy cashier will not accept personal checks.

Customer Feedback

We strive to provide quality service to our customers. If we have not lived up to this commitment or if we have met or exceeded your expectations, please let us know. To comment on the services provided at this office, please write to the Field Office Director at the address given above, or to the:

District Director
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
120-122 Wireless Road
Bangkok 10330 Thailand

If you feel you were mistreated by a U.S. immigration employee, or wish to make a complaint of misconduct by a U.S. immigration employee, you may write to the District Director, or write directly to the:
Department of Homeland Security
Attn: Chief, International Operations Division
20 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Suite 3300
Washington, DC 20529-2100


Immigration forms are available under the Forms section of the USCIS website which can be found on the right under related links.


For in-depth information about visas, please check the Visa Services section of the U.S. Department of State website.

Form I-407

The abandonment of lawful permanent resident status is irrevocable. An individual who relinquishes lawful permanent resident status must qualify again for such status. USCIS Seoul accepts I-407 applications every Thursday. Appointments are not necessary.

If you wish to abandon your permanent residence and relinquish your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card), please contact us by phone or in writing for further instructions.

Forms I-600 & I-600A

Information on international adoptions may be found at the Department of State website and in the Adoption section of the USCIS website which can be found on the right under related links.

Form I-600 and I-600A may be filed locally by U.S. Citizen petitioners that reside in our area of jurisdiction.

Form I-130

U.S. citizens that reside locally may file an Immediate Relative Immigrant Petition at the USCIS Seoul Field Office. However, they must first schedule an appointment to file the petition at 02-397-4548 or via email at We do not accept applications by mail.

There are three types of petitions that are commonly filed at this office

  1. for spouses and children of U.S. citizens
  2. for spouses and children of lawful permanent residents in the U.S. military
  3. for parents of U.S. citizens.

Please see the section “Information on Filing I-130 Petitions in Korea” near the bottom of the web page for additional information.

Form N-400

U.S. immigration offices overseas do not accept or adjudicate Naturalization applications. We are unable to receive or process naturalization applications from U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) living overseas. See the Citizenship section of the USCIS website for Naturalization eligibility criteria and the proper filing procedures.

EXCEPTION: Certain Active Duty Military members, Spouses of Active Duty Military, and Children of Active Duty Military can be naturalized overseas. However, the applications should be filed with the Nebraska Service Center.   Inquiries regarding military naturalization can be made to

Form I-131 Parole

The Seoul Field Office does not issue Humanitarian Parole. Individuals must apply for Humanitarian parole by submitting their applications to:

For US Postal Service (USPS) Deliveries:
USCIS Dallas Lockbox
PO Box 660865
Dallas, TX. 75266

For Express mail and courier deliveries:
Attn: HP
2501 S. State Hwy 121, Business
Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067


Instructions on how to file an application for Humanitarian Parole are located on Form I-131.

Form I-131 Re-entry

The Seoul Field Office does not issue or extend Re-Entry Permits. Instructions on how to obtain or replace a Re-Entry Permit can be found in the How Do I Get A Travel Document section on the USCIS website which can be found on the right under related links.

Re-Entry Permits (Form I-131) must be filed while the applicant is physically present in the United States. Re-Entry Permits may not be filed overseas.

Form I-590

 We are unable to receive refugee resettlement applications directly. These should be filed at the Refugee Resettlement Section (RRS) of the U.S. Consulate. We are also unable to check the status of any pending refugee resettlement application.

For general information and processing criteria please see the Department of State website and in the Refugee section of the USCIS website which can be found on the right under related links.

Filing Form I-601 and I-212 from Abroad

If you are abroad and otherwise approved to immigrate to the United States, but a Department of State Consular Officer found you ineligible to enter because of one or more grounds of inadmissibility for which a waiver may be available, you may apply for a waiver by filing Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility.

If you left the United States voluntarily after being issued an order of deportation or removal, were deported or removed, or re-entered the U.S. unlawfully after previously accumulating more than one year of unlawful presence, you may apply for readmission to the U.S. by filing Form I-212, Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission Into the United States After Deportation or Removal.

Where to File

On June 4, 2012, USCIS changed where waiver applications are filed. This will provide more efficient and consistent application processing, and allow you to track your case status online. You may also request an email or text message confirming receipt of your waiver by completing and attaching Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance to your application.

Waiver applications and supporting evidence should be mailed directly to the USCIS Lockbox. You may find the address for the appropriate USCIS Lockbox in the form instructions, as well as in the USCIS website at:


Please see the policy memorandum, Exceptions for Permitting the Filing of Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility, and any associated Form I-212, Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission into the United States After Deportation or Removal, at an International USCIS Offices, for more information.

I-601 Expedited Adjudication Requests

If you are sending your application to the USCIS Lockbox and believe you have extraordinary circumstances that are time-sensitive and compelling, you may attach a written request to have your application expedited at the time of filing.

If you have already submitted your application to the Lockbox, you can make an expedite request by either contacting the Nebraska Service Center (NSC) directly by email, or by calling the USCIS National Customer Service Center.

For information on how to contact the NSC and our National Customer Service Center, please visit the Contact Us page on the USCIS website.

Special Registration

Special Registrations are handled by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Additional information regarding Special Registration can be found at the following website:

Transportation Boarding Letters

Transportation Letters are issued by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). For transportation letter inquiries, please e-mail CBP at and phone number (02) 397-4973.

Information Notification Updates

Q. How do I get my Korean Identification card back?

A. You first need to relinquish your U.S. lawful permanent resident status. Then inquire with the Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Passport Office.

Q. When is it necessary to come in person to the Seoul office?

A. It is necessary to come in to our office to file the Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130).

Prior to Filing the I-130 petition:
Before filing the I-130 petition for your spouse, you (the petitioner) must make sure that you have followed the requirements for reporting your marriage in Korea. If you have married your spouse outside of Korea, you must ensure that you have followed the rules of the country where you were married. If your spouse is a Korean citizen, the marriage should be reported on his/her family census register. The Korean government will then establish a new branch family for her.

Who May File in Korea

Military and civilian members with orders to Korea

U.S. citizens employed with private companies

Students studying in the various universities

English teachers
(The last three categories must present a residence card, and/or employment documents.)

Filing the I-130 Petition

Along with the I-130 petition, you must also submit originals of

  • Your marriage certificate
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship/lawful permanent residence card
  • Proof of termination of any prior marriage(s)
  • Photographs, one for yourself and one for your spouse to be attached along with the Form G-325A (Biographic Information). Please note that failure to provide complete and accurate information could result in a delay in processing the petition and subsequent immigrant visa.
    -Birth certificate of your alien spouse. (If your spouse is a Korean citizen, you should submit two different Family Census Registers; one that shows all of her family members with his/her name removed from the register due to the report of your present marriage; the other one is a new Family Census Register which was established due to the report of your present marriage; both Family Census Registers must be accompanied with an English translation.)

NOTE: The petitioner is required to bring copies and originals when filing. Originals will be returned to the petitioner. The filing fee can be paid in U.S. or Korean currency. NO personal checks are accepted by the Embassy cashier per local State Department policy.

On the day you file the petition, your petition will be reviewed for completeness and verification of information provided. If there are any concerns, you will be referred to an Immigration Officer who will go over the petition with you and your spouse.

After the petition has been approved, it will be sent to the Immigrant Visa Branch. They will then send you a Packet of instructions and forms that should be completed by your spouse in support of your spouse's application for immigration (Packet 3).

Please note that Spouses of Lawful Permanent Residents will not be eligible for immigration immediately; instead, he/she will be assigned a preference category and a priority date. Please contact the Immigrant Visa Branch for information on the preference categories and the waiting period.
For inquiries on this or any other information, please contact the immigration office at (822) 721-4548 or (822) 397-4548 (commercial).

For inquiries on the Immigrant Visa process, please contact Immigrant Visa Branch directly at (822) 721-4252 or (822) 397-4252 (commercial).

Last Reviewed/Updated: 03/18/2014