Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security
Share This PageShare This Page PrintPrint

Archive Content

In an effort to keep the USCIS website current, the archive contains content that is five years and older or otherwise outdated.

Update: Employment Authorization for Dependents of Foreign Officials

WASHINGTON— The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) today published a final rule amending its regulations governing the employment authorization for dependents of foreign officials classified as A-1, A-2, G-1, G-3, and G-4 nonimmigrants. This rule, effective August 9, 2010, expands the list of dependents eligible for employment authorization to include any individual who falls within a category of aliens designated by the Department of State (DOS) as qualifying.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will only issue employment authorization documents to those dependents of foreign officials who are recognized by DOS as qualifying. Qualifying dependents must fall within a bilateral work agreement or de facto arrangement, listed on DOS’s website at

To apply for employment authorization documents, eligible dependents first must obtain an endorsement from DOS on an Interagency Record of Request, Form I-566. The individual must then file Form I-566 along with an Application for Employment Authorization, Form I-765, with USCIS.
For more information on USCIS and its programs, visit

Last Reviewed/Updated: 08/10/2010