Apply for Citizenship
To apply for naturalization, you will need to file Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. Be sure that you meet all eligibility requirements before you apply. Certain exceptions and modifications are available to those who qualify. Below you will find a general description of the application process. Items such as a naturalization eligibility worksheet and document checklist are available to help you prepare.
General Steps in the Process
- Read A Guide to Naturalization for information on the naturalization process.
- Determine if you are eligible to apply for citizenship. Review the naturalization eligibility worksheet to help you decide if you are eligible to apply for naturalization.
- Download Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.
- Complete your application.
- Have two passport-style photographs taken.
- Collect the necessary documents. Review the document checklist to assist you as you collect your documents.
- Send your application package and filing fee to the appropriate Lockbox Facility or Service Center.
- Receive an appointment letter for biometric services from USCIS.
- Visit a USCIS fingerprinting location and have fingerprints taken.
- Receive an appointment for an interview with a USCIS Officer.
- Go to your local USCIS office at the specified time.
- Bring state-issued identification, Permanent Resident Card, and any additional documents specific to your case.
- Answer questions about your application and background.
- Take the English and civics tests.
- Await a decision on your case.
For more detailed information on the naturalization process, please visit Citizenship Through Naturalization. For information on naturalization for members of the U.S. armed forces, please visit citizenship for military personnel and family members.