Official Website of the United States Department of Homeland Security
Share This PageShare This Page PrintPrint

Instructions for Electronic Filing of Form I-140

The steps to e-File this form are:

  1. We recommend reading the form instructions first.
  2. Check the chart below to see if e-Filing is available for your filing category.
  3. If you are eligible to e-File, go to the e-Filing log-in page and fill out Form I-140 online.
  4. Once payment is made, we will provide you with an electronic confirmation receipt that:
    • Includes your receipt number.
    • Tells you where to mail the required supporting documents listed in the form instructions. If you do not send the required documents to the address listed on the confirmation receipt, your application may be delayed or denied.
  5. USCIS will mail you a Form I-797C, Notice of Action. This is the notice you should use as evidence that you filed this application. 
  6. The USCIS office where your case is assigned will adjudicate your application.

E-Filing Eligibility

You may e-File Form I-140 if...You may NOT e-File Form I-140 if...

The beneficiary is:

  • An alien of extraordinary ability
  • An outstanding professor or researcher
  • A multinational executive or manager
  • A member of the professions holding an advanced degree or an alien of exceptional ability (who is NOT seeking a National Interest Waiver)
  • A professional (at a minimum, possessing a bachelor's degree or a foreign degree equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree)
  • A skilled worker (requiring at least two years of specialized training or experience)
  • Any other worker (requiring less than two years of training or experience)
  • An alien applying for a National Interest Wavier (who IS a member of the professions holding an advanced degree or an alien of exceptional ability)

Filing Fee:

The cost to e-File this form is $580.

Concurrent Filing

Form I-140 cannot be e-Filed concurrently with other forms.

Change of Address

If you have e-Filed a form and need to update your address, please refer to our "Change of Address Information" webpage.

This page can be found at:

Last Reviewed/Updated: 08/08/2012