Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security
Share This PageShare This Page PrintPrint

How to Correct Your Immigration Records

After Resolving a DHS Tentative Nonconfirmation

E-Verify compares information from an employee's Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, to data from U.S. Department of Homeland Security and Social Security Administration records. If the information matches, the employee is eligible to work in the United States. If there's a mismatch, E-Verify will alert the employer and the employee will be allowed to work while he or she resolves the problem.

If you received a DHS Tentative Nonconfirmation (TNC) from E-Verify your immigration records, may be inaccurate. Your immigration records are contained in DHS databases. Correcting inaccuracies in your immigration records can prevent future DHS TNCs. Once you have successfully resolved the DHS TNC you received by following the steps on your Further Action Notice, you may choose to take additional steps to correct your immigration records.

To correct your immigration records, use one of the following methods:

1. Contact U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to correct your Form I-551, Lawful Permanent Resident Card or Form I-766, Employment authorization Document.

You may schedule an appointment for an in-person interview at a local USCIS office at the InfoPass Web site,, or call the National Customer Service Center, 1-800-375-5283.

Please note that scheduling an appointment is the fastest way to correct your USCIS records. Remember to bring documentation supporting your immigration status.

You should include the following information in your submission, if it is available:

  1. The reason you are submitting your request.  For example, “I am submitting this Privacy Act request to correct my records because I received an E-Verify TNC.”
  2. Copies of your immigration or citizenship document
  3. A description of the information that is inaccurate and the reason it is inaccurate
  4. Your proposed change(s) to the record
  5. Your A-File number and full name
  6. Your date and place of birth
  7. Your notarized signature
  8. Your mailing address
  9. Other information that may help DHS locate the record

If you do not know the information you need to correct, you may submit a written request to obtain copies of your records by submitting Form G-639, FOIA/PA Request. This form is available at your nearest USCIS office or can be obtained online at The form is not required to submit your request; you may send a letter that includes the information listed above. You should use the address specified above, but mark the envelope “Privacy Act Request” rather than “Privacy Act Amendment.”

Please see How to File a FOIA/PA Request for more information.

2. Contact USCIS or Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to correct your Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record.

If there is an error in your USCIS-issued Form I-94, contact USCIS at the number above to correct the record.

If the error in your Form I-94 occurred when you entered the United States, you must visit a local CBP Deferred Inspection Site, a Port of Entry, or a Port of Admission to have it corrected. For a list of Deferred Inspection Sites or Ports, please visit the CBP website ( and click on the “Ports” link at the bottom of the page.

3. Visit the USCIS Web site at for information on how to renew or replace your immigration document.

4. Contact the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP).

If you are a student or exchange visitor, go to the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) Web site, The website contains information on how to update  records for students and exchange visitors.


Last Reviewed/Updated: 01/16/2014