Official Website of the United States Department of Homeland Security
Share This PageShare This Page PrintPrint


This section of the website explains how you may petition for relatives (or future relatives such as a fiancé(e) or a prospective adopted child) to immigrate to the United States. For other topics, such as citizenship or visitor visas, see the links to the right.

How Can I Help a Family Member Immigrate?

Your status determines which relatives (or future relatives) may be eligible to receive immigration benefits. In order to help a family member immigrate, you must be a:

If you or a member of your family is in the U.S. military, see the “Military” section of our website.

This page can be found at:

Last Reviewed/Updated: 04/04/2011