Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security

The government records used by E-Verify and Self Check are generally accurate and few people have any problems identified by E-Verify. In fact, E-Verify finds about 97% of the work force to be employment authorized.

Depending on your citizenship or immigrant status, there are several alternatives to using Self Check to confirm your employment eligibility. The following methods may be used to gain access to your government records to ensure their accuracy.

  • Wait until an employer checks your employment eligibility through E-Verify:
    Some companies use the E-Verify Program to check the work eligibility of their new hires. If there is an issue with your records, your employer will inform you of the next steps at that time.
  • Contact the Social Security Administration:
    If you would like to check your records with the Social Security Administration, please contact their toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213 or call or visit your local Social Security office. Social Security can handle most inquiries over the telephone.
  • Contact the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) National Customer Service Center (NCSC):
    Call the NCSC to check the accuracy of your immigration records and to determine next steps with an immigration specialist. Noncitizens may contact the NCSC at (800) 375-5283, TTY (800) 767-1833.
Last Reviewed/Updated: