Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security
Share This PageShare This Page PrintPrint

Document Checklist for Form N-400, Application for Naturalization

All applicants must send the following 3 items with their N-400 application: 

  • A photocopy of both sides of your Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as the Alien Registration Card or "Green Card"). If you have lost the card, submit a photocopy of the receipt for your Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card; and
  • Two identical color photographs, with your name and Alien Registration Number (A-Number) written lightly in pencil on the back of each photo. For details about the photo requirements, see the N-400 form instructions - or Part 5 of Form M-476, A Guide to Naturalization. If your religion requires you to wear a head covering, your facial features must still be exposed in the photo for purposes of identification; and 
  • A check or money order for the application fee and the biometrics services fee for fingerprinting. (Applicants 75 years of age or older are exempted from fingerprinting and the biometrics services fee). Write your A-Number on the back of the check or money order. You may combine the fees into one check or money order. Make your check or money order payable to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security."

Send copies of the following documents, unless we ask for an original. 

If an attorney or accredited representative is acting on your behalf, send: 

If your current legal name is different from the name on your Permanent Resident Card, send: 

  • The document(s) that legally changed your name (marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court document). 

If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen, send the following 4 items:

  • Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last 3 years:

-  Birth certificate (if your spouse never lost citizenship since birth); or

- Certificate of Naturalization; or

- Certificate of Citizenship; or

- The inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse's current U.S. passport; or

- Form FS-240, Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America; and

  • Your current marriage certificate; and
  • Proof of termination of all prior marriages of your spouse (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s)); and
  • Documents referring to you and your spouse:

- Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children; or

- Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past 3 years; or

- An IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years.

If you were married before, send:

  • Proof that all earlier marriages ended (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificates(s)). 

If you are currently in the U.S. military service and are seeking citizenship based on that service, send:

If you have taken any trip outside the United States that lasted 6 months or more since becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident, send evidence that you (and your family) continued to live, work and/or keep ties to the United States, such as:

  • An IRS tax return “transcript” or an IRS-certified tax return listing tax information for the last 5 years (or for the last 3 years if you are applying on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen).
  • Rent or mortgage payments and pay stubs. 

If you have a dependent spouse or child(ren) who do not live with you, send: 

  • Any court or government order to provide financial support; and
  • Evidence of your financial support (including evidence that you have complied with any court or government order), such as:

- Cancelled checks;

- Money and receipts;

- A court or agency printout of child support payments;

- Evidence of wage garnishments;

- A letter from the parent or guardian who cares for your child(ren).

If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason, and no charges were filed, send:

  • An original official statement by the arresting agency or applicant court confirming that no charges were filed. 

If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason, and charges were filed, send:

  • An original or court-certified copy of the complete arrest record and disposition for each incident (dismissal order, conviction record or acquittal order). 

If you have ever been convicted or placed in an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program (such as a drug treatment or community service program), send:

  • An original or court-certified copy of the sentencing record for each incident; and
  • Evidence that you completed your sentence:

- An original or certified copy of your probation or parole record; or

- Evidence that you completed an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program.

If you have ever had any arrest or conviction vacated, set aside, sealed, expunged or otherwise removed from your record, send:

  • An original or court-certified copy of the court order vacating, setting aside, sealing, expunging or otherwise removing the arrest or conviction, or an original statement from the court that no record exists of your arrest or conviction.

NOTE: If you have been arrested or convicted of a crime, you may send any countervailing evidence or evidence in your favor concerning the circumstances of your arrest and/or conviction that you would like U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to consider. 

If you have ever failed to file an income tax return since you became a Lawful Permanent Resident, send:

  • All correspondence with the IRS regarding your failure to file. 

If you have any Federal, state or local taxes that are overdue, send:

  • A signed agreement from the IRS or state or local tax office showing that you have filed a tax return and arranged to pay the taxes you owe; and
  • Documentation from the IRS or state or local tax office showing the current status of your repayment program.

NOTE: You may obtain copies of tax documents and tax information by contacting your local IRS offices, using the Blue Pages of your telephone directory, or through its Web site at

If you are applying for a disability exception to the testing requirement, send:

If you did not register with the Selective Service and you (1) are male, (2) are 26 years old or older, and (3) lived in the United States in a status other than as a lawful nonimmigrant between the ages of 18 and 26, send:

  • A "Status Information Letter" from the Selective Service (Call 1-847-688-6888) for more information.
Last Reviewed/Updated: 01/12/2011