E-Filing Reference Guide
Before You Start
1. Check the eligibility information at the top of Forms Currently Available to see if e-Filing is the right filing option for you.
2. Check your system requirements:
3. Read the Form-Specific e-Filing Instructions for the immigration form you want to file.
4. Register for your e-Filing User Account. Filling Out Your Application
5. Make sure you have all required information at hand before beginning your session.
Filling Out Your Application
1. Follow the instructions provided through your e-Filing session to complete your application(s).
2. USCIS has identified some common errors that have resulted in processing delays and overpayment of fees. Please read Avoiding Common E-Filing Mistakes: Understanding E-Filing System Messages to help you through the e-Filing process.
3. Determine if your application has been successfully submitted to USCIS.
After Filling Out Your Application
1. Please write down the Receipt Number provided on the web Confirmation Page before clicking the "Finish" button to generate a PDF copy of your submittted application.
2. Save your completed application and Confirmation Receipt Notice on your computer or a USB flash drive. To do this, click on File and then Save As... on the toolbar at the top of your Adobe Reader. Select "Portable Document Format (*.pdf) from the "Save as type" drop-down box.
3. Print your completed application and Confirmation Receipt by clicking on File and then Print on the toolbar at the top of your Adobe Reader, or by using the printer icon at the top left of the toolbar.
4. Review the Form Specific e-Filing Instructions for the application you wish to file to determine which documents, if any, you may need to provide to support your application.
5. If you are e-Filing Form I-90, I-131, or Form I-765, see Photographs and Fingerprints.
6. Check the status of your application online at the USCIS homepage where you may "Check Case Status." Information should be available 48 - 72 hours after you e-File.
This page can also be found at: http://www.uscis.gov/e-filingreferenceguide
Last Reviewed/Updated: 07/28/2011