Official Website of the United States Department of Homeland Security
Share This PageShare This Page PrintPrint

Tips on Paying Your Immigrant Fee

Paying the Fee

Each person receiving a Department of State (DOS) Immigrant Visa who applied for admission to the United States must pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee using the USCIS Electronic Immigration System (USCIS ELIS) after they receive their immigrant visa package from DOS and before they depart for the United States. There is no waiver available.

You may pay for yourself and for any family members who will live with you in the United States. Attorneys, accredited representatives, and employers are not authorized to create a USCIS ELIS account on your behalf to pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee. Only you, as the immigrant, may open a USCIS ELIS account and pay the required fee in order to obtain your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card). 

You will need to complete the electronic payment request and provide:

  • Your Alien number (A-Number) and your Department of State (DOS) Case ID Number.
  • If you pay for your family members, you must have their A-Numbers, DOS Case ID numbers and correct biographic information.
  • You also will need to provide a valid credit or debit card or, if you choose to have money taken directly from your bank account, a checking account number and the routing number for your U.S. bank.

Keep a copy of your receipt for your records.

Unpaid Fees

USCIS will not issue you a Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) until it receives your Immigrant Fee. USCIS will send you a Request for Evidence (RFE) if you do not pay your fee after 45 days. You will receive a second RFE if you fail to pay the fee within 90 days.

Proof of Status before Receiving Your Permanent Resident Card

You will receive an ADIT (Alien Documentation, Identification and Telecommunications) stamp upon entering the U.S. that will serve as proof of permanent resident status for up to one year or until you receive your Permanent Resident Card.


USCIS will not refund fees if a request is denied, revoked, or withdrawn.  If you accidently paid twice or otherwise feel you paid a USCIS Immigrant Fee in error, you may contact USCIS at 1-800-375-5283 for information on how to file a refund request.


Lost receipt: If you lost your receipt then it cannot be re-generated. If you need to provide evidence of payment, please make an InfoPass appointment online at to speak with a USCIS officer. At the InfoPass appointment, you can provide a copy of your credit card statement, bank statement, or processed check that was used for payment.

Finding your Case ID Number and A-Number: The Case ID Number and A-Number can be found on the Immigrant Data Summary Sheet stapled to the front of the immigrant visa package you and any accompanying family members received with your visa. If you did not receive an Immigrant Data Summary Sheet with your visa packet, please request this sheet from the U.S. Embassy or Consulate that issued you the visa. Each individual family member will be provided a separate sheet. The Case ID Number begins with three or four letters indicating the consulate or embassy followed by a series of numbers. Additionally, at the time of your interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, the DOS interviewing officer provided you with a USCIS handout that informed you of the need to pay the immigrant fee and included your A-Number and Case ID Number.

Finding information about your case: If you would like information about your case, such as the status of your case, you can check “Case Status Online” online at

Please email any questions in English and include:

  • The name of the applicant/petitioner;
  • The Alien/Account Number and/or Receipt Number; and
  • A brief summary of the issue/concern.

We will make every effort to research and respond to your email within 10 business days.

Last Reviewed/Updated: 03/12/2014