If you were
Then you may apply for permanent residence
admitted to the United States as:
1 year after your entry into the United States
granted asylum in the United States
1 year after the grant of your asylum status
Note: As a refugee, you are required by law to apply for permanent resident status 1 year after being admitted to the United States. As an asylee, you are not required to apply for permanent resident status after being granted asylum for 1 year, although it may be in your best interest to do so.
For more information on how refugees, asylees, and their family members can apply for green cards see:
- Green Card for a Refugee: Explains the refugees eligibility criteria and application process for a green card.
- Green Card for an Asylee: Explains the aslyees and their family members eligibility criteria and application process for a green card.
For more information about applying for refugee and asylum status, see our Humanitarian page.
- I-131,Application for Travel Document
- I-485,Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
- I-693,Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record
- Green Card Based Forms