Official Website of the United States Department of Homeland Security
Share This PageShare This Page PrintPrint

Green Card for a Lautenberg Parolee

The Lautenberg Amendment to the Foreign Operations Appropriations Act, allows certain individuals that were denied refugee status to be inspected and paroled into the United States on a humanitarian basis. These individuals are currently processed overseas in Moscow through the Moscow Parole Program before traveling to the United States.  After 1 year of residence in the United States, these individuals may then apply for a green card without regard to visa availability.

Today, this provision is limited to only those from the former Soviet Union, or from Estonia, Latvia or Lithuania, and include (but are not necessarily limited to) Jews, Evangelical Christians, and Ukrainian Christians of the Orthodox and Roman Catholic denominations. Prior to mid-1994, these provisions were available to certain individuals from Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos, as well as individuals from the former Soviet Union.

For additional information, refer to Public Law 101-167 and 8 CFR 245.7.

Eligibility Criteria

You may be eligible to apply for a green card (permanent residence) as a Lautenberg parolee if:

  • You are or were a national of the former Soviet Union
  • You were inspected and paroled into the United States as a Lautenberg parolee
  • You have been physically present in the United States for at least 1 year
  • You are admissible to the United States

Application Process

To apply for a green card, you will need to file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.

Supporting Evidence for Form I-485

The following evidence should be submitted with Form I-485:

  • Two passport-style photos
  • Form G-325A, Biographic Information, if you are between 14 and 79 years of age
  • Copy of government issued photo identification
  • Copy of birth certificate
  • Copy of passport page with parole stamp
  • Form I-643, HHS Statistical Data for Refugee/Asylee Adjusting Status
  • Form I-693,  Report of Medical Exam and Vaccination Record
  • Copy of Form I-94, Entry/Exit Record
  • Evidence of former or current Soviet nationality
  • Evidence of denied refugee status (This may already be in your immigration file but you may submit copies of any document you have to establish your eligibility)
  • Applicable fees
  • Certified copies of court records (if you have ever been arrested)

Work & Travel Authorization

Generally, when you have a pending Form I-485, it is possible for you to apply for authorization to work in the United States and to seek advance parole (advance permission to travel and be admitted to the United States upon your return). For further information, see our Work Authorization and Travel Documents pages.

Last Reviewed/Updated: 03/22/2011