Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security
Share This PageShare This Page PrintPrint

Humanitarian Parole

Humanitarian parole is used sparingly to bring someone who is otherwise inadmissible into the United States for a temporary period of time due to a compelling emergency.

USCIS may grant parole temporarily:

  • To anyone applying for admission into the United States based on urgent humanitarian reasons or if there is a significant public benefit
  • For a period of time that corresponds with the length of the emergency or humanitarian situation

Parolees must depart the United States before the expiration of their parole.  You may submit a request for reparole, which must be approved by USCIS. Parole does not grant any immigration benefits.

Requirements for Parole

  • Anyone can file an application for humanitarian parole.
  • You may file an application for parole if you cannot obtain the necessary admission documents from the Department of State
  • You cannot use parole to avoid normal visa-issuing procedures or to bypass immigration procedures. As noted above, there must be an urgent humanitarian reason or significant public benefit for the parole to be granted
  • To see if you can obtain the necessary admission documents from the Department of State, see the “Department of State Visa Information” on the right

Filing for Parole

To file for parole you must:

If you are represented by an attorney, he or she must file a Form G-28, Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative.

All requests for parole must be submitted to:

USCIS Dallas Lockbox
For US Postal Service (USPS) Deliveries:
PO Box 660865
Dallas, TX. 75266

For Express mail and courier deliveries:
Attn: HP
2501 S. State Hwy 121, Business
Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067

You will receive a written notice once we have received your application and again when your case has been decided. If you do not receive a response within 120 business days, then you may contact the Parole Branch in writing at the address above.

If you are currently in removal proceedings or have been previously removed from the United States, you will need to submit your request to:

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
Homeland Security Investigations/Investigative Services Division
Parole and Law Enforcement Program Unit (PLEPU)
500 12th St SW, Mail Stop 5112
Washington, DC 20536

Re-parole Request

File a request for re-parole at least 90 days before the expiration date on your Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record. 

To apply for an extension of parole with USCIS you must:

  • Have received your humanitarian parole from USCIS
  • File Form I-131, Application for Travel Document. Under "Part II. Application Type" check box 1.e., which states, "I am outside the United States, and I am applying for an Advance Parole Document" and write "Re-parole" next to this check box.
  • Include the filing fee
  • File a Form I-134, Affidavit of Support
  • Include a copy of your Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record, that you were issued upon parole into the United States

 You must submit requests for extensions of parole to the following address:

USCIS Dallas Lockbox
For US Postal Service (USPS) Deliveries:
PO Box 660865
Dallas, TX 75266

Denied Parole Requests

There is no appeal from denial of parole. However, if there are significant new facts that are relevant to your application, you may submit new documents with updated supporting evidence following the “Filing for Parole” procedure outlined above.

Medical Parole

If you need humanitarian parole for medical reasons, you must submit the following, with documentation to support any assertions, where available:

  • An explanation from a medical doctor stating the diagnosis and prognosis, and how long the treatment is expected to last
  • Information on the reasons why you cannot obtain treatment in your home country or in a neighboring country
  • The estimated cost of the treatment and an explanation on how the treatment will be paid for
  • How you will pay to return to your country

Parole for Children with Medical Needs

Parole of children, including for medical needs, requires the consent of a parent or legal guardian.   

This page can be found at

Last Reviewed/Updated: 08/17/2015