Official Website of the United States Department of Homeland Security

To apply for asylum, you will need to complete Form I-589, Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal.  Forms are available by clicking on the link to Form I-589 below or by calling the forms request line at 1-800-870-3676. The table below explains where to file your Form I-589. See 8 CFR § 208.4(b).  For more information on applying for asylum, see “Obtaining Asylum in the United States: Two Paths” and “The Affirmative Asylum Process” in the links below.



Where to File Your Form I-589

Applying for asylum for the first time and have not been placed in removal proceedings in Immigration Court

USCIS Service Center that has jurisdiction over your place of residence.

  • Information about where to send your application is found in the instructions to Form I-589.
  • USCIS will confirm in writing its receipt of your completed application.

Previously applied for and were denied asylum by INS or USCIS

Previously included in a spouse’s or parent’s pending application but no longer eligible to be included as a dependant.

Asylum Office having jurisdiction over your place of residence. 

  • Include a letter with your application stating that you previously applied for asylum and were denied, or that you are now filing independently for asylum and reference the application on which you were a dependent.

Currently in removal proceedings in Immigration Court

Immigration Court having jurisdiction over your place of residence.

Certain crewmembers, stowaways, individuals who entered the U.S. pursuant to the Visa Waiver Program and others described in
8 CFR § 208.2(c) so long as you have not been referred for a hearing by an IJ (through service of a Form I-863, Notice of Referral to Immigration Judge), has been filed.

USCIS Service Center having jurisdiction over your place of residence.

Last Reviewed/Updated: