Official Website of the United States Department of Homeland Security

Yes. F-1 students may be authorized to work due to severe economic hardship.  If granted such work authorization by USCIS, these students are issued Form I-766, “Employment Authorization Card,” that is not limited in the type of employment they may accept.  Form I-94 indicating F-1 nonimmigrant status and Form I-20 are not sufficient to show employment authorization for economic hardship-based employment authorization granted by USCIS.

Last Reviewed/Updated: