Official Website of the United States Department of Homeland Security

No, as long as the Social Security card is unrestricted. Your employee must be allowed to choose what documentation to present from either List A or List C. If an employee presents an unrestricted Social Security card upon reverification, the employee does not also need to present a current DHS document. However, if an employee presents a restricted Social Security card upon reverification (a card that includes one of the following restrictions on its face: Not valid for employment, Valid for work only with INS work authorization, Valid for work only with DHS authorization), you must reject the restricted Social Security card, since it is not an acceptable Form I-9 document, and ask the employee to choose different documentation from List A or List C of Form I-9.

Last Reviewed/Updated: