Official Website of the United States Department of Homeland Security

You may accept a document with a different name than the name entered in Section 1 provided that you resolve the question of whether the document reasonably relates to the employee. You also may wish to attach a brief memo to Form I-9 stating the reason for the name discrepancy, along with any supporting documentation the employee provides. An em­ployee may provide documentation to support his or her name change, but is not required to do so. If, however, you determine that the docu­ment with a different name does not reasonably appear to be genuine and to relate to her, you may ask her to provide other documents from the Lists of Acceptable Documents on Form I-9.

Last Reviewed/Updated: