Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security
Share This PageShare This Page PrintPrint

Extending Parole in the CNMI

It is critical that foreign workers maintain a lawful status in order for employers to petition for them to obtain CW Transitional Worker status or another status under the Immigration Nationality Act (INA). U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) advises all people who were paroled into the CNMI and whose Arrival-Departure Record, Form I-94, has expired or is expiring to apply for an extension of their parole to Sept. 30, 2012.

People who were paroled due to an expired permit must keep parole current in order to maintain a legal presence in the United States. Anyone who would like to be sponsored for a grant of CW status in the CNMI must have a lawful status in the CNMI when the employer files the Petition for a CNMI-Only Nonimmigrant Transitional Worker, Form I-129CW.

Automatic Extension

We will automatically extend parole to you if:

  • have a parole that expires on Jan. 31, 2012
  • filed for that parole in October 2011 or later
  • have one of the following applications pending with USCIS: an I-129, I-129CW or I-539 as the dependent of a CW-1

This automatic extension applies only to you only if you meet ALL the criteria listed above. If you qualify for an automatic extension, you do not have to file anything with USCIS to get your parole extended.

If you have a parole that expires January 31, 2012, but no pending application with USCIS, you are not eligible for an automatic extension of parole. If you have a parole that expires January 31, 2012, have a pending application with USCIS, but applied for parole BEFORE October 2011, you are not eligible for an automatic extension of parole. 

If you are not covered by the three criteria listed above, please follow the instructions below for how to file for parole extension.

Who is Eligible

People who already have parole and an I-94 document can apply for an extension of parole. People who have parole should look at the expiration date on their I-94 and, based upon that date, consider applying for parole extension. This includes those with any parole that is either:

  • Expired
  • Or expiring on or before Nov. 28, 2011

PLEASE NOTE: Russian and Chinese visitors who have been paroled into the United States solely as tourists are not eligible for extension of parole.

If you have never been granted parole by USCIS, you are not eligible to request an extension for parole. This is NOT for first-time parole in place. If you need parole and have never had it before, please visit our Requesting Parole for the First Time in the CNMI Web page for more information.

Parole Extension Filing Fee

There is no filing fee to obtain parole in this situation.

Prepare the Following Items

You must submit the following information to request parole extension:

  • A letter or affidavit signed by you requesting the extension. Include your complete P.O. Box mailing address and telephone number
  • A copy of a valid identity document, such your passport biographic page (with photo, date of birth and expiration date)
  • A copy of your I-94 (front and back)
  • A copy of your umbrella permit (if you have one)
  • A letter from your employer verifying his or her intention to continue your employment (if currently employed)

Seal all these items in one envelope and clearly write on the outside of the envelope:

  • Your name
  • The expiration date of your parole

We recommend that you keep a copy of all documents for yourself.

Parole Validity

USCIS will normally extend parole to Sept. 30, 2012.  All parole decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

How to Submit Parole Extension Requests

Please see the table to below for instructions on how to submit your parole extension request.

If you are in Saipan

If you are in Rota or Tinian

You can drop off your parole extension request at the USCIS Office in Saipan. These requests will be accepted only on a drop-off basis. When you drop off your request at the USCIS Office, no one will be available to answer questions about it unless you have an InfoPass appointment.

You must mail your request to:

Sirena Plaza, Suite 100
108 Hernan Cortez Avenue
Hagatna, Guam 96910

Working with Parole

Parole gives someone legal status to stay in the CNMI but a grant of parole by itself does not provide work authorization.  A parolee may apply for a discretionary grant of a USCIS Employment Authorization Document (EAD) by filing USCIS Form I-765.  All aliens must have work authorization in order to work in the CNMI.  You can continue to work under your current umbrella or other work permit until Nov. 27, 2011. If you are the beneficiary of a CW petition filed on or before Nov. 28, 2011 by your current employer, and are work authorized (either by reason of an umbrella or other CNMI-issued work permit, or an EAD) at the time the petition is filed, you may continue to work for that employer until a decision is made on your petition. For any other employment, you must have a currently valid EAD in order to work as a parolee after Nov. 27, 2011.

Advance Parole vs. Parole

Unlike parole, advance parole is not an actual grant of parole status in the CNMI. Advance parole is advance permission granted by USCIS to leave the CNMI for a foreign place and return to the CNMI to be paroled back in. A foreign worker with an advance parole is issued the actual parole when returning back into the CNMI from foreign travel by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) inspector at the port of entry. An advance parole that expires before it is actually used to depart from and return to the CNMI does not need to be extended in order to continue lawful presence in the CNMI. However, advance parole is no longer valid for a parole back into the CNMI once expired. If the foreign worker still wishes to travel and be paroled back into the CNMI, he or she must obtain a new advance parole.

Another way to obtain parole is through a grant of parole by USCIS in the CNMI. This is typically referred to as “parole in place.” Parole is documented by the issuance of a Form I-94. It is this parole – either issued by CBP based upon return from travel based on an advance parole from USCIS, or a parole in place by USCIS – that must be kept up to date.


Parole of individuals in this situation does not include travel to any other part of the United States. If you need to travel, you will have to contact USCIS to apply.

Last Reviewed/Updated: 01/30/2012