Q : How can I help to make processing my record request faster?
You can help to speed our response to your record request by providing proof of death for any other persons one expects to be identified in a file. If all individuals identified in the file are proven deceased the file can be released without processing under the Freedom of Information/Privacy Act (FOIA/PA).
Other persons most commonly found in the records are the immigrant subject's children, spouse, and/or siblings. Acceptable documentary proof includes any of the following:
Photocopy of Death Certificate
- US Social Security Death Index record (individual record only, no lists)
- Printed obituary, funeral program, or photograph of gravestone
- Bible, church, or other religious death record
- Record relating to the payment of death benefits
- Other document demonstrating the individual is deceased
The Genealogy Program most often find other persons ("third parties") named and identified in the following files:
- Registry Files
- Visa Files