Paying Immigration Fees
Use the following guidance when paying filing, biometrics, or other fees to USCIS:
- Bank drafts, cashier's checks, certified checks, personal checks (See Check Instructions below), and money orders must be drawn on U.S. financial institutions and payable in U.S. funds.
- If you live in the United States or its territories, make the check or money order payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security (not "USDHS" or "DHS").
- If you live outside the United States or its territories, and are filing your application or petition where you live, contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or consulate for instructions on the method of payment.
USCIS accepts credit cards in all domestic Field Offices that accept payments. Accepted cards include Visa®, Mastercard®, American Express®, and Discover® Network.
USCIS Check Instructions
Customers that require payment for the services they are requesting are advised to follow the instructions below to ensure that their application will be filed correctly.
If you are paying your fees by check, please be aware of the following:
- Electronic Deposit of Checks – If you are paying your fees by check to the cashier, we will convert your check into an electronic fund transfer. When you hand your signed check to the cashier, we will scan your check and retain it. We will then use the account information from your check to make an electronic fund transfer from your checking account for the amount of the check.
- Insufficient Funds – Please note that the electronic fund transfer from your account can occur faster than normal processing of a paper check. If we cannot complete the electronic fund transfer because your account has insufficient funds, we will try to make the transfer up to two more times. If your account still lacks sufficient funds, you will be billed the original check amount and a one-time administrative fee by USCIS.
- Authorization – By presenting your check to the cashier, you authorize USCIS to convert your check into an electronic fund transfer. If the transfer cannot occur for technical reasons, you authorize us to process the copy of your original check through normal paper check procedures.
Personal checks must be pre-printed with the name of the bank and the account holder. Also, the account holder’s address and phone number must be pre-printed, typed or written in ink on the check. All checks must be typed or written in ink.
Write the date you are filling out the check including: day, month and year.
On the "Pay to the Order of" line write: "U.S. Department of Homeland Security."
Write in numbers the exact dollar amount of the fee for the service you are requesting. In the example, the amount is "$595.00."
Spell out the exact dollar amount of the fee for the service you are requesting. The "cents" portion of the amount should be written as a fraction over 100. In this example, the amount is "Five hundred ninety-five and 00/100."
Write a brief description of the purpose of your payment. In this example, it is "N-400 application fee."
Sign the check using your legal signature.