On an average day:
- More than 375,000 people visit our Web site.
- We process 310 refugee applications around the world, and grant asylum to 55 people already in the United States.
- We answer 44,000 phone calls to our toll-free customer service line, and serve 9,500 customers at our 84 local offices.
- We ensure the employment eligibility of more than 58,000 new hires in the United States.
- We fingerprint and photograph 15,000 applicants at our 136 Application Support Centers.
- We conduct 148,000 national security background checks.
- We complete 23,000 applications for various immigration benefits.
- We process 2,600 applications to sponsor relatives and fiancées. We also help American parents adopt 78 foreign born orphans.
- We process 2,040 petitions filed by employers to bring workers to the United States.
- We grant permanent residence to 2,400 people and issue 6,100 Permanent Resident Cards.
- We welcome 3,200 new citizens.
- Typically 35 of them are already serving their adopted country in the United States armed forces