I-589, Application for Asylum and Withholding of Removal
- Purpose of Form :
- To apply for asylum in the United States and for withholding of removal (formerly called "withholding of deportation"). You may file for asylum if you are physically in the United States and you are not a United States citizen.
- Number of Pages :
- Form 12; Instructions 14.
- Edition Date :
- 11/01/2012. Previous editions accepted.
- Where to File :
- If your reside in AL, AR, CO, Puerto Rico, the District of Columbia, FL, GA, LA, MD, MS, NM, NC, TN, TX, the Virgin Islands, UT, VA, WV, WY or the Western Pennsylvania counties of Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Bedford, Blair, Bradford, Butler, Cambria, Clarion, Clearfield, Crawford, Elk, Erie, Fayette, Forest, Greene, Indiana, Jefferson, Lawrence, McKean, Mercer, Somerset, Venango, Warren, Washington, and Westmoreland, file your application with the Texas Service Center.
- If you reside in AZ, the California counties of Imperial, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, or Ventura, Guam, HI or the Nevada counties of Clark, Esmerelda, Nye or Lincoln, file your application with the California Service Center.
- If you reside in AK, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, ND, OH, OR, SD, WA, WI or a county in California or Nevada which is not listed above, file your application with the Nebraska Service Center.
- If you reside in CT, DE, ME, MA, NH, NJ, NY, RI, VT or a county in Pennsylvania which is not listed above, file your application with the Vermont Service Center, marked Attention: Asylum.
If you are currently in Immigration Court: You must file your I-589 with the Immigration Court having jurisdiction over your case.
- Filing Fee :
- $0 (Biometrics services may be required at no cost.)
- Special Instructions :
This page can be found at http://www.uscis.gov/i-589
Last updated: 02/19/2013