Q : Do I need to include proof of death with my request? What are acceptable forms of proof of death?
Only if the subject of your request was born less than 100 years before the date of your request, you must provide documentary proof of death with your request. Acceptable forms of proof of death include:
• Death certificate
• A printed obituary, funeral program, or photograph of gravestone
• Bible, church, or other religious record
• U.S. Social Security Death Index record (individual records, not lists)
• Records related to the payment of death benefits
• Other documents demonstrating that the subject of the request is deceased
Please submit copies of these records with your request. Do not submit original documents as these documents will not be returned.