Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security
Share This PageShare This Page PrintPrint

How to Correct Your Records

If you believe that the SAVE Program’s response to the benefit-granting agency did not provide accurate information about your actual immigration status or you need to make corrections to your immigration record, you can use one of the following methods:

1.   Contact USCIS: Schedule an appointment for an in-person interview at a local USCIS office at the InfoPass Web site,, or by calling the National Customer Service Center, 1-800-375-5283

Scheduling an appointment is the fastest way to correct your records.  You should bring documentation supporting your immigration status and any information provided by the benefit-granting agency concerning why your immigration status makes you ineligible to receive the benefit. 

2. Submit a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request in writing 

If you know the information that needs to be corrected in your record, you may submit a request to correct your records to the Freedom of Information Act/Privacy Act (FOIA/PA) Office at the following address:

 Privacy Act Amendment
 U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
 National Records Center
 FOIA/PA Office
 P.O. Box 648010
 Lee’s Summit, MO 64064-8010

We recommend that you include the following information in your submission, if available:

  • The benefit you were denied
  • Copies of your immigration document
  • Information that is inaccurate
  • Reason it is inaccurate
  • Proposed change(s) to the record
  • A-File number and/or the full name
  • Date and place of birth
  • Notarized signature of the applicant
  • A return address           
  • Other information that may assist in locating the record

If you do not know the information you need to correct, you may submit a written request to obtain your records by submitting Form G-639, FOIA/PA Request.  This form is available at your nearest USCIS office or can be obtained online at  You should use the address specified above, but mark the envelope “Privacy Act Request” rather than “Privacy Act Amendment.”   

3.  Contact Customs and Border Protection (CBP): Correct your Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record, issued when you entered the United States

If the error in your immigration document occurred upon entering the United States, you must visit a local CBP Deferred Inspection Site or a Port of Entry or Admission to have it corrected. For a list of Deferred Inspection Sites or Ports, please visit the CBP website ( and click on the “Ports” link at the bottom of the page. (Please note if USCIS issued your Form I-94, you should contact USCIS to correct that particular record.)

4. Visit USCIS Web site: For information about how to renew or replace your immigration document visit the USCIS website at

5.  If you are a student or exchange visitor in the United States, refer to the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) Web site for more information


For foreign language versions of this page, please visit Multilingual Resources for Benefit Applicants.

Last Reviewed/Updated: 09/30/2012