Official Website of the United States Department of Homeland Security

Be sure to enter your name consistently on your identity documents and government records. If you use different versions or spellings of your name in various records, it may cause a mismatch.

If your name changes, you must update your records with the Social Security Administration. If your immigration status changes you should update your Social Security Administration records.

Last Reviewed/Updated: