PDF (Portable Document Format)
Rich Text Format
Web page files
Each file that you upload to support Form I-526 should be smaller than 60 MB (megabytes).
If your document is larger than 60 MB, try to rescan it using your scanner’s grayscale function, or use other software to reduce the file size. Please avoid using your scanner’s black and white function.
Once you scan a document, it becomes an image. All images should be:
- No more than 11 inches by 11 inches (about 3300 x 3300 pixels);
- Between 100 and 300 dots per inch (DPI) in resolution (valid values are 100, 150, 200, 250, and 300 DPI);
- In grayscale or color (24-bit or lower color preferred).
To help keep your file sizes below 60 MB, we recommend that you scan documents in a low-resolution format. Most scanners default to 300 DPI. You may need to change your scanner settings and rescan your document at a lower DPI.
If you need to resize an image, we recommend that you use Microsoft Windows Paint or Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
USCIS ELIS will automatically attempt to resize files that do not meet the requirements above. If the files cannot be resized, USCIS ELIS will reject them and you will receive an error message.
While you may continue with your petition, filing Form I-526 without supporting evidence may delay processing. For example, you may receive a request for evidence.
How to Upload Evidence
On the “Evidence Upload” screen, you should see a list of evidence categories (such as “Information About Investor,” “Investment,” and “New Commercial Enterprise”).
Each category has an “Add document” link.
(To upload one document, select “I want to upload using another method.” You will be directed to the single-document upload functionality. The single-document functionality is slower and therefore not recommended when uploading multiple documents and files.)
- Select “Add Document.” (If a separate window appears asking you to run the Java plugin, please select “Run.”)
- Select “Browse” on the next screen to locate a file to upload. Select the file and select “Open.” The filename should appear in the “Select and Upload Evidence” table. To select other files for a particular category, repeat this step.
If all of the files you want to upload are located in the same folder, you can select and upload the whole folder (instead of selecting/uploading each individual file).
(Note: Java must be enabled in your browser for these screens to display correctly. Without Java, your browser will display the single-document upload which is significantly slower.)
- Once you have selected the files you need for an evidence category, select “Upload” to attach them to Form I-526. This process may take a few minutes, depending on the number and size of files you want to upload. The progress bar will show when all documents have been uploaded.
- Select “Next” to upload documents for another evidence category.
- Once you have finished uploading evidence, select “Next” to proceed to the next step in Form I-526, “Review Upload.”