Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security
Share This PageShare This Page PrintPrint

Immigrant Fee Payment: Tips on Finding Your A-Number and DOS Case ID

If you are immigrating to the United States and you will be admitted as a lawful permanent resident, you must pay a $165 USCIS Immigrant Fee. You must pay this fee using the USCIS Electronic Immigration System. We strongly encourage you to pay this fee after you receive your immigrant visa packet from the U.S. embassy or consulate abroad (including Canada and Mexico) and before you depart for the United States. Paying before you depart for the United States will ensure that you receive your Permanent Resident Card (commonly referred to as a Green Card) without delay. However, you can also pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee after you immigrate to the United States. Your Green Card will be sent to your U.S. mailing address after the fee is paid.

 Providing Your U.S. Address

USCIS will only mail your Green Card to the U.S. mailing address you provide to the Department of State (DOS) at the time of your immigrant visa interview or to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer when you are admitted to the United States. If you plan on living at a different U.S. address immediately after you enter the United States, please give that address to the CBP officer to ensure that your card arrives at your new home.

 If you move after you arrive in the United States and do not receive your card within 45 days, please update your address with USCIS by visiting or by contacting the Customer Contact Center. Also, we recommend that you update your address with the U.S. Postal Service by visiting your local U.S. post office or online at

Paying the USCIS Immigrant Fee

You must pay the $165 fee through our USCIS Electronic Immigration System by following the steps listed below:

  • Select “USCIS Immigrant Fee.
  • Enter your Alien Registration Number (also known as an A-Number) and DOS Case ID. If you are paying for additional family members, you can add their A-Numbers and DOS Case IDs.  Please see “Where to Find Your A-Number and DOS Case ID” for more information. 
  • Pay the fee using a valid credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover), debit card, or U.S. bank checking account. If you are using your checking account, you must provide your U.S. account number and bank routing number. 

If you are unable to pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee yourself, you may choose someone to pay the fee for you. That person can be a family member, friend, employer, attorney, or accredited representative. If someone pays the USCIS Immigrant Fee for you, they will need your A-Number and DOS Case ID. 

Where to Find Your A-Number and DOS Case ID

You can find your A-Number and DOS Case ID on your immigrant data summary, USCIS Immigrant Fee handout, or immigrant visa stamp. Your A-Number is the letter “A” followed by eight or nine numbers (such as A012345678). Your DOS Case ID is three letters followed by nine or 10 numbers (for example, XYZ0123456789). If you are a Diversity Visa immigrant, your DOS Case ID will have four numbers followed by two letters and five more numbers (for example, 0000AB12345).

  • Immigrant Data Summary

During your U.S. embassy or consulate appointment, you should have received an immigrant data summary stapled to the front of your immigrant visa package. You can find your A-Number and DOS Case ID at the top of the immigrant data summary, as shown in the picture below.


Immigrant Data Summary

  • USCIS Immigrant Fee Handout

At the time of your interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate, the DOS interviewing officer should have given you a USCIS Immigrant Fee handout. This document provides instructions on how to pay the $165 immigrant fee and includes your A-Number and DOS Case ID.

Your A-Number and DOS Case ID are located in the top right corner, as shown below. Please make a copy of your USCIS Immigrant Fee handout or write down your A-Number and DOS Case ID and store it in a safe place. If you did not receive an immigrant data summary or a USCIS Immigrant Fee handout with your visa packet, please contact the U.S. embassy or consulate that issued your visa to request a copy.

Immigrant fee handout

  • Visa Stamp

You can also find your A-Number and DOS Case ID on the visa stamp (also called a visa foil) in your passport, as shown in the picture below.

  • Your A-Number is identified as the Registration Number on your visa stamp. If your A-Number is fewer than nine digits, insert a zero after the “A” and before the first digit to create a nine-digit number. For example, “A12345678” would become “A012345678.” 
  • Your DOS Case ID is identified as the IV Case Number on your visa stamp. However, please note the IV Case Number has two additional numbers at the end, such as 01 or 02. When entering the IV Case Number as the DOS Case ID, do not include the last two numbers. For example, if your IV Case Number is “ABC1234567801,” you would enter your DOS Case ID as “ABC12345678” (do not include the “01”).


Visa Stamp


Making an Appointment with Your Local USCIS Office

If you are still unable to find your A-Number, you can make an appointment to visit your local USCIS office.  An immigration services officer can provide you with your A-Number. You can schedule this appointment by using our InfoPass online scheduler.


Last Reviewed/Updated: 08/31/2014