Official Website of the United States Department of Homeland Security
Share This PageShare This Page PrintPrint

Domestic Workers

A domestic worker performs child care, household tasks, and/or upkeep of a home or surrounding yard on a regular basis in return for wages or other benefits. If you use the services of a domestic worker, you  generally must fill out Form I-9 for the domestic worker except in some instances. 

You do not need to complete Form I-9 if the domestic worker is:

  • Providing services that are sporadic, irregular or intermittent; or
  • Employed by a domestic service company (e.g., maid service) or agency employing temporary domestic workers

Regardless of who fills out Form I-9, employers or persons using contract services must not continue to employ or use the services of a domestic worker knowing the person is not authorized to work in the United States.

Last Reviewed/Updated: 03/28/2011