Official Website of the United States Department of Homeland Security

If you have received a conditional grant, you may travel outside the United States, so long as you and your derivatives first obtain permission to return to the United States. This advance permission is called advance parole. If you leave the United States without first obtaining advance parole, it may be presumed that you abandoned your request for asylum. You may apply for advance parole by filing a Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, with the USCIS District Office having jurisdiction over your place of residence. If you leave the United States with advance parole and return to the country of claimed persecution, you will be presumed to have abandoned your asylum request, unless you can show compelling reasons for your return to that country.

Last Reviewed/Updated: