Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security

Yes, you and your spouse and/or children who were included in the asylum decision, if any, will continue to be eligible to apply for work authorization while you have a conditional grant.  To work in the United States, you must apply for and obtain an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). If authorized, you may accept employment subject to any restrictions in the regulations or on the card. You and your derivatives are not required to pay a fee with your initial request(s) for employment authorization. However, when you submit an application to renew your employment authorization, you must pay a fee or request a fee waiver under 8 CFR § 103.7(c). To obtain an EAD, you and any derivatives who wish to receive work authorization must submit separate applications on Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, to the appropriate USCIS Service Center. The instructions to the Form I-765 provide the address of the Service Center where you should send the form, based on where you reside.

Last Reviewed/Updated: