Working in the United States
Initial Period of Stay
Extension of Stay
Time needed to complete the event, competition or performance, not to exceed 1 year
Increments of up to 1 year in order to continue or complete the event, competition or performance.
Form I-129 is used to apply for a change of status, extension of stay or change of employment.
For more information see the “Extend my Stay” and “Change my Nonimmigrant Status” links to the right.
Change of Employer
You may change employers, but only after your new employer has filed a new Form I-129 with USCIS requesting permission to employ you and extend your stay. You may not commence employment with the new employer until the Form I-129 has been approved.
Family of P-2 Visa Holders
Your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 may obtain P-4 status. Your dependents may not engage in employment, but may attend school or college.
Essential Support Personnel
Essential support personnel who are an integral part of the performance of a P- 2 artist or entertainer and who perform support services that cannot be readily performed by a U.S. worker, are eligible for P-2 classification. Support personnel may include stagehands, trainers, or those persons having critical knowledge of the specific services to be performed.
The U.S. employer must file a separate Form I-129 for support personnel. The petition must include the following documents:
- Consultation from an appropriate labor organization
- Statement describing the support person’s prior and current essentially, critical skills and experience with the P-2 artist or entertainer
- Copy of a written contract between the employer and the support person or a summary of the terms of the oral agreement under which the support person will be employed.
Other USCIS Links
- Procedures for Applying the Period of Authorized Stay for P-1S Nonimmigrant Individual Athletes' Essential Support Personnel (52 KB PDF)
- Title 8, Code of Federal Regulations
- Requirements for Agents and Sponsors Filing as Petitioners for the O and P Visa Classifications (890 KB PDF)
- Extend My Stay
- Address Index for I-129 O & P Consultation Letters
- Change My Nonimmigrant Status
- Premium Processing