Working in the United States
Initial Period of Stay
Extension of Stay
Time needed to complete the event, competition or performance, not to exceed 1 year
Increments of up to 1 year in order to continue or complete the event, competition or performance.
Form I-129 is used to apply for a change of status, extension of stay or change of employment.
Change of Employer
You may change employers, but only after your new employer has filed a new Form I-129 with USCIS requesting permission to employ you and extend your stay. You may not commence employment with the new employer until the Form I-129 has been approved.
Family of P-2 Visa Holders
Your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 may obtain P-4 status. Your dependents may not engage in employment, but may attend school or college.
Essential Support Personnel
Essential support personnel who are an integral part of the performance of a P- 2 artist or entertainer and who perform support services that cannot be readily performed by a U.S. worker, are eligible for P-2 classification. Support personnel may include stagehands, trainers, or those persons having critical knowledge of the specific services to be performed.
The U.S. employer must file a separate Form I-129 for support personnel. The petition must include the following documents:
- Consultation from an appropriate labor organization
- Statement describing the support person’s prior and current essentially, critical skills and experience with the P-2 artist or entertainer
- Copy of a written contract between the employer and the support person or a summary of the terms of the oral agreement under which the support person will be employed.
Other USCIS Links
- Procedures for Applying the Period of Authorized Stay for P-1S Nonimmigrant Individual Athletes' Essential Support Personnel (52 KB PDF)
- Title 8, Code of Federal Regulations
- Requirements for Agents and Sponsors Filing as Petitioners for the O and P Visa Classifications (890 KB PDF)
- Extend My Stay
- Address Index for I-129 O & P Consultation Letters
- Change My Nonimmigrant Status
- Premium Processing