A Day in the Life of USCIS
On an average day:
- We adjudicate more than 26,000 requests for various immigration benefits.
- We process 3,700 applications to sponsor relatives and future spouses.
- We process 200 refugee applications around the world and grant asylum to 45 individuals already in the United States.
- We screen 146 people for protection based on a credible fear of persecution if they return home.
- We answer 50,000 phone calls to our toll-free phone line and serve 2,200 people at informational appointments in our 86 domestic field offices.
- We ensure the employment eligibility of more than 80,000 new hires in the United States.
- We fingerprint and photograph 13,000 people at 137 Application Support Centers.
- We approve applications and petitions to help unite 25 foreign-born orphans with the Americans who want to adopt them.
- We grant lawful permanent residence to approximately 2,100 people and issue approximately 7,000 Green Cards.
- We receive 335,000 visitor sessions to our website.
- We welcome nearly 2,000 new citizens at naturalization ceremonies. Typically, 36 of these new citizens are members of the U.S. armed forces.