Immigration Records and Identity Services Directorate
Tammy Meckley is the associate director of the Immigration Records and Identity Services Directorate (IRIS).
IRIS provides trusted and timely immigration, employment, and identity information through a culture of efficiency and creativity.
IRIS consists of four divisions.
The Verification Division:
- Ensures authorized users are able to timely and accurately verify immigration status and employment authorization information while preserving individual freedoms, rights, and privacy.
Operates and manages:
- Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. Form I-9 is the mandatory employment verification process required of all employers in the United States.
- E-Verify, an internet-based system that compares information from an employee's Form I-9 to data from U.S. Department of Homeland Security and Social Security Administration records to confirm employment eligibility.
- The Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements Program, which helps federal, state, and local benefit-issuing agencies, institutions, and licensing agencies determine the immigration status of benefit applicants so only those entitled to benefits receive them.
The Records Division:
- Ensures that immigrants’ information, both in paper and electronic form, stays accurate, available and secure.
- Catalogs, maintains and researches historical agency information.
- Implements the USCIS Genealogy Program, which provides researchers with timely access to historical immigration and naturalization records of deceased immigrants.
The Biometrics Division provides data and biometric services to 139 USCIS application support centers located throughout the United States and its outlying territories to include Hawaii, Guam, and Saipan.
National Records Center
The National Records Center:
- Provides stakeholders with access to requested immigration records and information.
- Oversees the storage, management, and integrity of 74 million immigration files and 18 million receipt files while supporting the largest Freedom of Information Act program in the federal government.