Connecticut - Hartford Field Office

***Offices sometimes close because of bad weather or unexpected events. During bad weather, call 860-728-2888 before traveling to make sure we are open.***

Field Office Director: Nieves Cardinale
District Director: Edward A. Newman
Northeast Region

Physical AddressMailing AddressExpress Mail

450 Main Street, 1st Floor
Hartford, CT 06103

450 Main Street, 1st Floor
Hartford, CT 06103

450 Main Street, 1st Floor
Hartford, CT 06103

Service Area
Transportation, Directions, and Parking
Filing Information and Case Status
Visiting the Office and Attorney Procedures
Naturalization Ceremonies
Prohibited Items

Service Area

This office services the state state of Connecticut.



1) From Interstate 91 North or South, take Exit 29A for the Capitol Area

 Merge onto Whitehead Highway

 Take the Prospect Street Exit

 At the traffic light, go straight across the intersection onto Arch Street, for one block

 Turn left onto Main Street

 The Ribicoff Federal Building is just beyond the first traffic light on the left.

 2) From Interstate 84 East, take Exit 48B for Capitol Avenue

 Turn left onto Capitol Avenue and go to the traffic light at the end of the road.

 Turn left onto Main Street.

 The Ribicoff Federal Building is on the right.

 3) From Interstate 84 West, take Exit 54 Downtown across Founders Bridge

 At the traffic light at the end of the bridge, go straight on State Street/Central Row

 Turn left onto Main Street and proceed for 3 blocks

 The Ribicoff Federal Building is just beyond Sheldon Street on the left


The CT Transit Bus Company provides bus service from these route numbers 31, 33, 37, 39, 40, 47, 53, 55, 58, and 72 down Main Street. There is a bus stop across the street from the Federal Building in front of the Baptist Church going South and the bus stop going North is in front of the Hartford Public Library. CT Transit bus information can be reached at 860-525-9181 and computer access with the web Customers can also get train information by calling Amtrack at 1-800-842-7245.

Back to Top

Parking & Accessibility

PARKING: There is public parking available in the area of the office.

HANDICAP ACCESSIBILITY: This office is handicapped accessible.

Filing Information

Follow the instructions on the form(s) that you are filing. If the instructions on the application tell you to file the form at a USCIS local office and you live within this service area, please mail your application or make an INFOPASS appointment to submit your application in person.

Avoid Immigration Services Scams

Many people offer help with immigration services. Unfortunately, not all are authorized to do so. While many of these unauthorized practitioners mean well, all too many of them are out to rip you off. This is against the law and may be considered an immigration services scam.

USCIS wants to combat immigration services scams by equipping applicants, legal service providers, and community-based organizations with the knowledge and tools they need to detect and protect themselves from dishonest practices. Please see USCIS’s “Avoid Scams” webpage for more information. If you have you been a victim of an immigration services scam, help is available. You can report scams to the Federal Trade Commission. You may also file a complaint in your state.

If you're working with an attorney, check with the state bar association to verify that the attorney is eligible to practice in—and is a member in good standing of the bar of the highest court of—any U.S. state, possession, territory or commonwealth, or the District of Columbia.

If working with a non-attorney, verify whether the individual is an accredited representative of an organization recognized by the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA).

Know the law in your state. Some states have specific laws regulating immigration consultants. If you are unsure whether your immigration service provider is giving trustworthy advice, do not hesitate to seek a second opinion. When doing so, always work with a licensed attorney or BIA-accredited representative.

Back to Top

Case Status and Referral Follow-ups

If you want to know the status of a case that is pending at this office, you should first call customer service at 1-800-375-5283. If your case is outside of our normal processing time, as shown on the web site, a customer service representative will ask USCIS to research your case, and we will send you a letter with further information.

If the customer service representative instructs you to visit our office, you must schedule an INFOPASS appointment, on our website, to visit this office in person.

Remember to bring the following items noted below, to the office for your appointment:

  • Any notices we have sent to you
  • A valid photo identity document, such as a driver license, passport, employment authorization document, etc.
  • A copy of the application or petition that you filed
  • Proof of paying the fee such as a copy of a cancelled check (front and back) or money order that has been traced for payment, or a handwritten receipt from an Immigration Services Officer.

Back to Top

Visiting the Office

In order to visit this office or to speak with an Immigration Immigration Services Officer, you must have an appointment scheduled by USCIS or you must schedule an INFOPASS appointment on the USCIS website.

INFOPASS appointments are available 7:30am to 3:00pm Monday - Friday.

If you are an attorney seeking information at this office, you must make an INFOPASS appointment to visit this office.

Back to Top

Naturalization Ceremonies

The Hartford Field Office participates in ceremonies approximately 3 times per month at the United States District Courts located in Hartford, New Haven, and Bridgeport. All ceremonies held in Connecticut are judicial, and therefore there are no administrative or same-day oath ceremonies.

Prohibited Items

Rules and regulations governing public buildings and grounds can be found at Title 41, Code of Federal Regulations, Subpart 101-20.3 and Title 18, United States Code, Section 930. Additionally, this office prohibits:

  • Cameras (including cell phones with cameras)
  • Recording Devices (including cell phones with recording capabilities)
  • Food or Beverages
  • Alcohol
  • Animals (other than service animals)

Back to Top

Last Reviewed/Updated: