Certificate Of Citizenship for Your Internationally Adopted Child

Child with certificate


Your IR-3/IH-3 child has not received a Certificate of Citizenship

  • If your child was admitted with an IR-3/IH-3 visa, but has not yet received his or her Certificate of Citizenship and it has been more than 50 days since admission, we will send you further instructions, please contact:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Buffalo District Office (NER, D02)
306 Delaware Avenue
Buffalo, NY  14202

or childcitizenact@uscis.dhs.gov

Your child’s name changed and does not match the Certificate of Citizenship

Your child’s name or date of birth on Certificate of Citizenship is incorrect or contains errors

Your child’s name on his or her certificate may not appear the way you want it to appear. The following table explains how to correct a misspelling of your child’s name.



Information on your child’s certificate is the same as the information on your child’s legal documents submitted to generate the Immigrant Data Summary issued by the U.S. Consulate,


USCIS cannot legally change your child’s name or date of birth. This must be done through state court proceedings.


The U.S. Embassy, Consulate or USCIS made an error,


It will be corrected and you will not be required to pay a fee.

Please file a Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document, with a written explanation of the error.

Mail the Form N-565, original Certificate of Citizenship and two new photos to:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
306 Delaware Avenue
Buffalo, New York, 14202
Attn: CCA Unit


If there was an error on our part,


We will correct it without fee. However, if the information provided during the Form I-600 or Form I-800 adjudication and visa issuance shows the child’s legal name or date of birth to be the same as on in the Certificate of Citizenship, another certificate may not be issued.



Your child’s date of birth has been legally changed (by court order)

  • If your child’s date of birth has been ordered changed by a state court after his or her entry into the United States, you may file Form N-565, Application for Replacement of Naturalization/Citizenship Document
  • Be sure to include the proper fee and evidence of the change to your child’s legal date of birth, such as a court order, birth certificate, certificate recognizing the foreign birth, certificate of birth abroad, or similar state vital record issued by the child’s state of residence.
  • If your child’s date of birth has been ordered changed by a state court while your Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship, is pending, you should submit a copy of the state court order with the corrected date of birth to the USCIS field office with jurisdiction handling the application. Be sure to include a copy of your receipt notice, with any documentation you have submitted to the state court, to the field office so your submission is attached to the application.

We lost my child’s Certificate of Citizenship

We adopted more than one child, and have not received all of their certificates

  • The visas of sibling groups of children who entered together may have been separated during the certificate preparation process. Each child’s certificate will be mailed separately. Please allow 50 days from the date of entry into the United States for the receipt of all the certificates.
Last Reviewed/Updated: