This page contains information that is no longer current but remains on our site for reference purposes.
Re-Designation and 18-Month Extension of Temporary Protected Status for Somalia
Date of Release April 30, 2012
Tomorrow, the Department of Homeland Security will publish a notice in the Federal Register regarding Secretary Janet Napolitano’s decision to extend the current Temporary Protected Status (TPS) designation of Somalia and to re-designate the country for 18 months. You can view a preview of this notice online today. The Federal Register notice provides additional guidance on:
- Who is eligible for TPS;
- How to re-register if you have TPS;
- How to apply for TPS if you do not currently have the benefit and may be eligible;
- When to begin filing TPS applications;
- How to request an Employment Authorization Document;
- TPS fees and fee waiver procedures; and
- Other TPS-related information.
NOTE: Both the 60-day re-registration period for current Somalia TPS beneficiaries and the 180-day registration period for initial TPS applicants will open on the publication date of the Federal Register notice.
Please continue to visit www.uscis.gov/tps or call 1-800-375-5283 to obtain the latest information about filing for TPS and to learn more about the TPS application process.