This page contains information that is no longer current but remains on our site for reference purposes.
USCIS Changes Look and Feel of Form I-797C
Modification clarifies the form's use and saves the agency $1.1 million a year
WASHINGTON - On April 2, 2012, USCIS will issue Form I-797C, Notice of Action, with a new look and feel. We will print the Form I-797C on plain bond paper. This change is estimated to save the agency about $1.1 million per year.
This form change will help reduce public perception that the Form I-797C demonstrates evidence of an immigration benefit or status. The top of the new Form I-797C will clearly display: “THIS NOTICE DOES NOT GRANT ANY IMMIGRATION STATUS OR BENEFIT.” The following is a sample of how this disclaimer will appear on the Form I-797C:
Please note, the Form I-797C, Notice of Action is used ONLY for certain types of communication between individuals and the agency including notifications of:
- Receipt (notifies the customer that their payment and application/petition has been received by USCIS)
- Rejection (notifies the customer that their application/petition has been rejected due to incorrect information or payment)
- Transfer (notifies the customer that their case was relocated to another USCIS office for processing)
- Re-Open (notifies the customer that USCIS has approved a motion to re-open their completed case and it is being processed)
- Appointment (notifies the customer that they have an appointment with USCIS to obtain fingerprint or biometric capture, to attend an interview, or that their appointment has been rescheduled)
Form I-797C appointment notices will also contain disability accommodation information on the back of the form. Previously this information was included as a separate flyer that was sent along with the notice. Printing this information on the back of the form will save additional resources by consolidating the notice and disability information into one form.
Form I-797C Notice of Actions issued before April 2, 2012, will remain valid. This change to Form I-797C is part of our ongoing efforts to improve customer service while enhancing agency operations.