Archived Content

The information on this page is out of date. However, some of the content may still be useful, so we have archived the page.

Archived from our former blog, The Beacon.

Top Five Questions About Advance Parole

Release Date:


Since issuing a reminder on advance parole last month, we’ve received several comments and questions. Here are some of those questions followed by our answers:

1. Why are some Advance Parole (AP) documents issued for multiple entries and some for a single entry?

Most AP documents are issued for multiple entries; however, they may be issued for a single entry. Please also keep in mind that the granting of AP is a discretionary action and USCIS is not statutorily obligated to issue AP.

2. Which parts of the Form I-131 do I complete if I want to apply for AP?

Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, is used for three things:

  • Advance Parole
  • Reentry Permits
  • Refugee Travel Documents

Depending on what you are applying for, you would fill out different sections of the form. It is important to read all the instructions for the I-131 application, but to summarize the sections of the form:

Part 1: All applicants must complete this section.
Part 2: All applicants must complete this section.
Part 3: All applicants must complete this section.
Part 4: All applicants must complete this section.

Part 5: Only applicants for a reentry permit complete this section.
Part 6: Only applicants for a refugee travel document complete this section.
Part 7: Only applicants for advance parole complete this section.

Part 8: All applicants must complete this section.

3. I filed my I-131 application online, where do I send the supporting documentation?

Information about where to send your supporting documentation is provided when you submit your application electronically. You will be provided with a confirmation sheet when you submit your application online and you must place a copy of this confirmation sheet on top of your supporting documentation when you mail it to USCIS.

4. I have applied for a Green Card (Adjustment of Status) and have lived in the United States illegally, and recently received an AP document. Does this mean that it is okay for me to travel outside the U.S.?

Under the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996, individuals who depart the United States after being unlawfully present in the United States for certain periods can be barred from admission to lawful permanent resident status, even if they have obtained Advance Parole. Individuals who have been unlawfully present in the United States for more than 180 days, but less than one year, are inadmissible for three years; those who have been unlawfully present for one year or more are inadmissible for 10 years. Individuals who are unlawfully present, then depart the United States and subsequently reenter under a grant of parole, may still be ineligible to adjust their status (get a Green Card).

5. I have an emergency and need to travel, but don’t have AP, what should I do?

Applicants may submit Form I-131 and request expedited processing. Additionally, applicants may request an emergency AP document at their local USCIS field office, however, this should only been done in extremely urgent situations. To request emergency AP at your local office, please make an Infopass appointment and be sure to bring with you the completed I-131 application, two passport-style photos, the appropriate application fee, and supporting documentation verifying the emergency and the need to travel urgently. Please see our “Emergency Travel” page for more information.