Archived Content

The information on this page is out of date. However, some of the content may still be useful, so we have archived the page.

Archived from our former blog, The Beacon.

Five Questions and Answers: How to Address Comments and Complaints to USCIS

Release Date:

Have you ever had a comment for or complaint about USCIS? The following five questions and answers were put together to provide those we serve with information on how best to address comments and complaints regarding various aspects of the work that we do:

1. What should I do if I feel that I have received rude or unprofessional treatment by an officer or security guard at USCIS?

If you believe that you or someone you represent has been treated improperly, please ask to speak to a USCIS supervisor. There will always be a supervisor on duty. If, for whatever reason, you cannot speak to a supervisor, there are additional ways that you can submit a complaint, listed below.

2. How do I file a complaint with USCIS?

There are several ways that a customer may file a complaint with USCIS:
  • If you are at a USCIS office and feel that you are being mistreated or are unhappy with the service you received, it is best to raise your concerns with a supervisor while you are still at the office. The supervisor will be able to immediately address your concerns before you depart the office.
  • You may also write USCIS with your complaint. The mailing addresses of USCIS offices can be found at the “Find a USCIS Office” page. USCIS reads and takes seriously every complaint that we receive.
  • Customers are welcome to submit their complaint directly with the Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) Office of Inspector General (OIG). Contact information for the DHS OIG can be found on USCIS’s “Contact Us” page. This information is also posted in the waiting rooms of USCIS Field Offices.
  • You may raise your concerns to USCIS Headquarters. Headquarters information can be found on the “Directorates and Program Offices” page of
3. How do I file a complaint about the National Customer Service Center (NCSC)?

If you call the NCSC and feel that you are not receiving proper service, you may ask to speak to the representative’s supervisor. You can also write the Customer Service Directorate at:

USCIS Customer Service Directorate
Contact Center Enterprise Office
111 Massachusetts Avenue NW
Mailstop 2260
Washington, DC 20529

When you write the Customer Service Directorate, it is helpful if you include the following information in your letter:
  • Date and time of the call
  • The phone number you used to call the NCSC
  • The name or ID number of the representative you spoke with
USCIS keeps NCSC call recordings for 90-days. Providing the information above will assist in locating the call so that we can effectively address your concerns.

4. I have information about misconduct or criminal activity of a USCIS officer, who should I notify?

Please report this information to the DHS OIG:
  • Toll-free DHS Hotline at 1-800-323-8603
  • By fax at (202) 254-4292
  • Via e-mail to 
  • By mail to the following address:

    Department of Homeland Security
    Attn: Office of the Inspector General
    245 Murray Drive, Building 410 Stop: 2600
    Washington, D.C. 20528
5. I have a suggestion for USCIS, where can I direct my comment?

You should submit your comment to the appropriate office (i.e. if it is a suggestion about a service center, you can send your comment to the service center). The mailing addresses for offices can be found on the “Find a USCIS Office” page.