Archived Content

The information on this page is out of date. However, some of the content may still be useful, so we have archived the page.

Archived from our former blog, The Beacon.

Blog Post: Recap of USCIS Twitter Office Hours, February 9

Release Date:

On February 9, we held the sixth USCIS Twitter Office Hours to answer your questions about immigration benefits and other services that our agency provides.

During this pilot event we were able to answer many common questions that we know many of our stakeholders have. Of course, we received more questions than we had time to address in an hour.

Below you can find all of the questions and answers that we tweeted, as well as answers to three additional questions that we received during the event.

Thanks to everyone who tweeted questions. We look forward to engaging with you during future installments of USCIS Twitter Office Hours. 

Q1: @JoeThe_Show my account keeps getting locked "for inactivity or too many incorrect logins", for no reason #AskUSCIS
A1: @JoeThe_Show Please send an email to and we’ll follow up with you on the error you’re receiving. #AskUSCIS
Q2: @mukeshagg My n-400 application is out of posted processing time. There has been no update since last 7 months. What can I do? #AskUSCIS
A2: @mukeshagg If your case is taking longer than expected, you can submit an e-Request here: #AskUSCIS
Q3: @SAE63423527 help! What is the protocol to report and replace a missing EAD card (OPT). Can you please help? #AskUSCIS
A3: @SAE63423527 Please file Form I-765. Include copy of approval notice or letter w/ prior EAD receipt #. #AskUSCIS
Q4: @sbanil can one travel out of country while I-765, employment authorization document is pending with valid advance parole? #AskUSCIS
A4: @sbanil You can re-enter the US with valid advance parole. Find more info here: #AskUSCIS
Q5: @Chichibolita Obtained GC through marriage. We're separated. To apply for natz what should marital status be? #AskUSCIS
A5: @Chichibolita You must be living with your US citizen spouse to file under Section 319(a). Details: #AskUSCIS
Q6: @LeonardAlves78 When USCIS sends RFE and there's request for legible copy of a document does the copy need to be notarized? #AskUSCIS
A6:@LeonardAlves78 No, but the copy needs to be legible, such as a high-quality scan, and can't be an image. #AskUSCIS
Q7: @munichlinux are companies who charge people to file for H1B petition legal? if not is USCIS taking steps to curb them? #AskUSCIS
A7: @munichlinux Only attorneys and accredited representatives can assist w/ filing. See avoid scams page: #AskUSCIS
Q8: @mohangonnabathu I have submitted my application on Nov 18. I didn't receive any update after that its been 80 plus days #AskUSCIS
A8: @mohangonnabathu You can check your case status at or submit an e-Request #AskUSCIS
Q9: @tiffanie1221 Husband's GC is about to expire. Can we travel outside of the US while his I-751 is in process? #AskUSCIS
A9: @tiffanie1221 Your husband is allowed to travel, please review your I-751 receipt notice. Info:  #AskUSCIS
Q10: @prernaplal How long are initial #DACA applications taking? Filed one in September and still waiting. #AskUSCIS
A10: @prernaplal Check here for the most up-to-date DACA processing times: #AskUSCIS
Q11: @amitrathee if L1B is refused, is the $4500 fee refundable? #AskUSCIS
A11: @amitrathee You can visit to find info about rejected applications. #AskUSCIS (1/2) 
A11: @amitrathee If a petition is denied, in most cases the fee is not refundable. #AskUSCIS (2/2)
Q12: @saikiranv hello is finger printing required for EAD when applying as H4 (dependent visa) category c26 #AskUSCIS
A12: @saikiranv When filing Form I-765, biometrics might be required. Please check the instructions:  #AskUSCIS
Bonus Questions

Q13: @stefanieRibarra  if the processing time says "6 months" does that mean 6 month from the date you received my application? No update since 8/2015 #AskUSCIS
A13: @stefanieRibarra The processing time begins on the date listed on your receipt notice. #AskUSCIS
Q14: @empa_314 can a GC holder petition their over age child who's already an immigrant in another country? thanks #AskUSCIS
A14: @empa_314 Visit this link to see who green card holders can petition for #AskUSCIS 
Q15: @lsantana11  #AskUSCIS What's the 1st form for a child born in the US to fill out for their parent to become citizens? Any comprehensive checklists?
A15: @lsantana11 The child must be 21 or older and should file Form I-130. For next steps, please visit #AskUSCIS