Filing Directions to Obtain Employment Authorization and Advance Parole Card Where Adjustment of Status Application is Pending

Archived Content

The information on this page is out of date. However, some of the content may still be useful, so we have archived the page.

In February 2011, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) began issuing employment and advance parole authorization on a single card for certain applicants filing an Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, Form I-485. An applicant may receive this card when he or she files an Application for Employment Authorization, Form I-765, and an Application for Travel Document, Form I-131, concurrently with or after filing Form I-485. If USCIS approves both the Form I-765 and the Form I-131, the applicant may receive one card that will serve as both an employment authorization document and an advance parole document. Through our public engagement channels we have learned our filing instructions for Forms I-131 and I-765 do not allow for these two forms to be filed together if the Form I-485 is still pending. This was not our intent.

If Form I-485 has already been filed and Forms I-765 and I-131 are being filed together, use Form I-765 filing location instructions.  USCIS’ intake operations will process and send the forms together to the appropriate USCIS service center. We have updated the form instructions on our website accordingly for both forms.

For more information about the employment authorization and Advance Parole card, see the related Questions and Answers

USCIS encourages applicants to read form filing instructions in their entirety prior to filing their applications. Applicants should be aware that USCIS will not grant advance parole to an individual who is in removal or rescission proceedings.  An individual who is in proceedings needs to present any advance parole request to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Please visit for more information about USCIS and its programs, including forms, filing instructions and fee information. Applicants with additional questions can call our USCIS Contact Center at (800) 375-5283.

Last Reviewed/Updated: