Initial Registration Deadline for Syria TPS Is July 6, 2015
Monday, July 6, 2015, is the deadline for eligible nationals of Syria (and people without nationality who last habitually resided in Syria) who do not currently hold Temporary Protected Status (TPS) to register for TPS. The redesignation of Syria for TPS runs from Jan. 5, 2015, through Sept. 30, 2016.
To be eligible for TPS, you must demonstrate that you meet all eligibility criteria, including that you have been “continuously residing” in the United States since Jan. 5, 2015, and “continuously physically present in” the United States since April 1, 2015. You must also undergo thorough security checks. Individuals with certain criminal records or who pose a threat to national security are not eligible for TPS.
To register, you must submit:
- Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status;
- The Form I-821 application fee (or a fee-waiver request);
- The biometrics services fee (or a fee-waiver request) if you are 14 years old or older;
- Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, regardless of whether you want an EAD; and
- The Form I-765 application fee (or a fee-waiver request), but only if you want an EAD. If you do not want an EAD, no application fee is required. There is no Form I-765 fee for initial applicants under the age of 14 or over 65; these applicants may receive their initial EAD cards for free.
Fees and Fee Waivers
If you cannot pay the fee, you may request that we waive the Form I-821 application fee, Form I-765 application fee or biometrics fee. However, you must file Form I-912, Request for Fee Waiver, or submit a written request. You must also send in supporting documentation with your fee-waiver request. We will reject your TPS application if you do not submit the required filing fees or a properly documented fee-waiver request.
More information about the designation of Syria for TPS—including guidance on eligibility, the application process and where to file—is available at uscis.gov/tps, the Syria TPS page and in the Federal Register notice (PDF).