A Guide to Naturalization
Recent changes in immigration law and USCIS procedures now make it easier for U.S. military personnel to naturalize, see the USCIS Policy Manual guidance on Military Members and their Families. Also see Naturalization Information for Military Personnel (PDF, 251.97 KB).
A Guide to Naturalization (M-476) provides information on:
- The benefits and responsibilities of citizenship;
- An overview of the naturalization process; and
- Eligibility requirements.
To view the Guide, you must have the free Adobe Reader software installed on your computer.
- M-476, Chapter 1, Welcome (PDF, 347.76 KB)
- M-476, Chapter 2, What are the Benefits and Responsibilities of Citizenship? (PDF, 174.32 KB)
- M-476, Chapter 3, Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 321.13 KB)
- M-476, Chapter 4, Who is Eligible for Naturalization? (PDF, 403.2 KB)
- M-476, Chapter 5, What should I Expect from the Naturalization Process? (PDF, 258.34 KB)
- M-476, Chapter 6, What Kind of Customer Service Can I Expect? (PDF, 258.54 KB)
- M-476, Chapter 7, Where Do I Go for Help? (PDF, 189.1 KB)
- M-476, Chapter 8, Glossary (PDF, 196.85 KB)