Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) Enhancements
The E-Verify Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs) released on Dec. 8, 2013 have a revision date of June 1, 2013. The revision date may be found at the bottom of each MOU page. The MOUs are now tailored to specific users and access methods and are easier to read and understand.
We have retitled and revised our three current MOUs for our E-Verify browser users. We have also added three new MOUs for our Web Services users and developers.
What you need to know:
- The E-Verify enrollment process has not changed. New users will review and execute the new or revised version of the MOU that applies to their access method during enrollment. The effective date of the MOU for new users is December 8, 2013.
- Existing users will not need to execute a new MOU, but are bound by any and all enhancements to the E-Verify program including the new or revised MOU that applies to their access method. The effective date of the MOU for existing users is January 8, 2014.
- Existing users are strongly encouraged to review and become familiar with the new or revised MOU that applies to their access method.
All of the new and revised MOUs include improved language and organization to make them clearer and easier to understand. Changes include:
- MOU titles that clearly identify the access method to which the MOU applies.
- More plain language, active voice and reorganized content to improve flow and readability.
- Bullets have been changed to letters and numbers to make searching and citation easier.
- Lengthy sections have been broken up.
The new and revised MOUs also include several updated provisions, such as enhanced privacy protections and instructions for reporting privacy and security breaches. Please visit the Memorandums section of the Publications page at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify or “View Essential Resources” in E-Verify to review the new and revised MOUs.